Silkie sexing

danh85

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2016
Hi. My silkie is about 6 months old now and I had always assumed it was a pullet (especially since I got two of them at the time and the other one made itself known it was a cokerel at 12 weeks). But this morning it let out about a half crow. It's waddles have seemed to double in size in the last 2 weeks. It has always kept to itself and left my other hens alone. So I'm wondering if I have yet another rooster on my hands?

Mixed I think. I picked them up at a chicken swap when they were about 4 weeks old. The guy thought this one was a pullet and wasn't sure about the other that definitely turned out to be a rooster. This one literally had a very small comb and waddles till about 2 weeks ago. Great

He's a little wet right now because it raining so imagine fluffier and the other is from a few weeks ago not very clear though

I'm very curious--even though I know there is no way of knowing this--what breed/s he's mixed with.
I haven't ever seen this kind of "mask" on the face except in my one gamecock. Of course I'm still learning and really just beginning my study of genetics in chickens.
I wonder if someone who know more-- or has a better ability to make an educated guess-- might come along and add to this puzzle?

Yeah it would be interesting to know now all I know is the guy I bought them from breeds show silkies and sells the ones that he doesn't think would make it. They were 5 bucks each and looked cool that's why I bought them. I can ask him in a few weeks if he's at the chicken swap again

Back
Top Bottom