silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kbh82310

kbh82310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Nc

If they are sup to have walnut combs how did they get the single combs? 2 of my silkies has a single comb which doesn't bother me they are just pets anyway but I was curious. On one of mine it looks like he has 3 rows of combs.

And that's why it's really harder for me to tell the sex of black silkies from a picture. I can't really see anything but black with these guys.

2. jessishatley

jessishatley Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Jefferson, nc
    I've got a 20 wk rooster who still hasn't started crowing. What's the latest age your roo has crowed?

I know its definitely aroo bc he has long pin feathers on his head and his comb is bump y and starting to turn red.

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I had one that held off till he was 6 months. But he was in with a dominant roo.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    What is your guess, pullet or cockerel? It's 4wks & LOVES to be carried...Spoiled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Here are some chicks that my DS(8) is raising for 4-H; we will post again once they are older for help telling who is who [​IMG] they are 3 weeks old

[​IMG]

6. kbh82310

kbh82310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Nc
    They are cute, I have 3 week olds also. Love your cocker btw, I've owned them for over 16 years.
    He is way to young to tell. Take pics again in 3-4 weeks

7. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    thanks, the cocker has been with us 2 years now- she was a rescue dog, she loves to watch the chicks in the incubator but we have to keep her away from them- she has a strong prey drive.

8. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is another pic of the one I think may be a roo. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Can't tell it's too young. Try again at 9 weeks

10. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Single combs are recessive so both parents have to be carrying the recessive gene to produce offspring that have single combs. The parents may have had walnut combs as part of their phenotype, so the breeder/hatchery can't tell that the parents are carrying the recessive gene until the offspring hatch. It's common with hatchery birds as the hatcheries generally produce quantity, not quality. Single combed silkies will always pass down the single combed gene to their offspring so they should not be bred from. This is one of the problems of buying silkies (or any other breed for that matter) sight unseen from hatcheries as you are not able to choose birds that are true to type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by