silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Some0ne848

Some0ne848 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Will my Silkie Male turn out like this one? [​IMG]

it's not a good photo. :/

[​IMG]

Do all silkies end up the same way or are their lots of ways male silkies can grow to look like?

the ones in Thoes photos have really big bye parts (what is the blue?) and giant wattles, spur,combs and all that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    They all mature differently, some have very lumpy , large combs and the colour can vary from mulberry red to almost black. Here are some pics of my Roos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Some0ne848

Oct 9, 2013
    WOW!! THEY ARE AMAZING!!

I Hope Domino Turns out like the them!!

I'm sorry. I must be being a really pain sorry.

4. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

wow. i like pullets poof balls/crests better! the pullets seem more fluffy and to me they are also cuter then roos.

5. Some0ne848

Oct 9, 2013
    what's a crest? I also think that the hens a cuter. but personally I think the roos are AWESOME looking. I have always liked roos in looks better in most breeds. and the hens are always so pretty

6. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

a crest is the ball of feathers that sits on the top of silkie's head. you call that the crest.

see the pic, it is of the crest

[​IMG]
    pullet though!

7. Some0ne848

Oct 9, 2013
    oh ok. and males silkies have streams?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    The hens have nice round crests, where most Roos have that blown in the wind look and streamers in their tails. I love Roos , all my Roos have names. This is my favorite hen. She is by no means the prettiest , but she presents to me when I enter the pen and loves to be handled.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these are her siblings.

9. Some0ne848

Oct 9, 2013
    They are beutiful. I love love love silkies so much. they are so good looking and so interesting. my 3 hens have been hand raised my me since day 1 and clime up me and peck me all the time. they are so wonderful. and domino I got as a few weeks old and was horrified of everybody and was very hard to catch. He is still like this with me but ones I have him calm he is great. any idears on how to make him like my hens. i don't know how he was treated as a very young chick. and I don't think he was tested well and that is why I'm guessing he is jumpy and nervous.

how can I make him comfortable around people?

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It takes time, but treats are the best way to any chickens heart. I find that hand feeding a little scrambled egg will usually win them over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by