silkie sexing

I have 2 silkies and its bugging me that i cant figure out the sex! my blue silkie is not growing as fast so i did not spend a lot of time getting pictures but the white one is starting to show some good feathering. they are 8 weeks old tomorrow.

Pullets or Roosters?

if you have silkie chicks that need to be sexed place pics here. chicks need to be at least 4 weeks old. pics need to be from the sides of the head and full body, front veiw of the head, and any other pics you want to provide please. here are some tips i found online about sexing silkie chicks as well

Look at the feathers on the chick's head. Males tend to have feathers that stand upright and curve towards the back, while the female head feathers tend to form in a rounded feather puff.

Look at the comb when it develops within two to three weeks of the chick's birth. a male will have a larger comb than a female.

Males are significantly larger than females, and this can be obvious a few days after hatching. This isn't considered a certain method of sexing though because you may just have a large female or a small male. It's also a poor method if you are trying to compare chicks from two different genetic lines.

Listen for crowing. The chicks will start losing the fluffly baby feathers around four of five months. At that time a male silkie will start attempting to crow.

Look at the saddle feathers just before the tail and the hackle feathers on the neck. These feathers will be long and sharp on a male and gently rounded on a female.

I'm confused about this thread. The very fist post says "chicks need to be at least 4 weeks old", but the latter posts say you can't tell until 3 to 4 months. So when should I take pictures of my chicks? They are three weeks today.
Also I have one that is a mix, any ideas on how to tell or just wait for an egg or a crow there?

This is Pippin, a Silkie Mix

This is Gandalf the gray (thinking a splash)

This one is Mari

Meri, Gandalf the gray & Pippin all together. 3 weeks old. All have the same comb size and are pretty much the same size over all.

I'm confused about this thread. The very fist post says "chicks need to be at least 4 weeks old", but the latter posts say you can't tell until 3 to 4 months. So when should I take pictures of my chicks? They are three weeks today.
Also I have one that is a mix, any ideas on how to tell or just wait for an egg or a crow there?
I agree with you here, I waited till my chicks were 4 weeks and posted pics and were told they were too young, which I get, but thought it was all in fun and people would guess and have a good time.... so I am confused with you, will be interesting to hear what reply you get....

I have heard people say that they can sex their own silkies at 6-8 weeks. But if they get it wrong it only effects them. I've been breeding for several years and while you do get the odd one that shows signs of being a roo at an early age, I wouldn't even hazard a guess on other peoples birds till 12-16 weeks. Even then it is only an educated guess. Short of DNA testing , the old saying, ' egg or crow ' is sometimes the only option.

My Popcorn is a PULLET!!!! YAY!!! Well..... actually...turning into a Hen! :) lol.... she laid her first egg today!! YAY POPCORN!!! :)
wee.gif
Yyay!!! Congrats! :)

I have 2 silkies and its bugging me that i cant figure out the sex! my blue silkie is not growing as fast so i did not spend a lot of time getting pictures but the white one is starting to show some good feathering. they are 8 weeks old tomorrow.

Pullets or Roosters?
at this point, they could both be pullets IMO. Combs look small and dark, not showing any signs of redness. Hackle feathers look short and stance looks like a hen.

Back
Top Bottom