silkie sexing

My silkies are about 25 weeks old, partridge is definitely a roo, but still not 100% about the gray. No eggs yet of course, but he/she has not crowed, I have also seen him/her copy the "shuffle" the partridge roo does. Any ideas?

I can't find the original post, but this gray is a roo, 100% sure. I would be stunned if he turned out to be a hen. That's how sure. My roo looked nearly exactly like him.

Thankyou I have better pictures now of them if this helps
1f60a.png

Looks like another roo =/

Hi,

Here are a few picks of my little Silkie. This is at around 12 weeks old. Please let me know what you think.
I think I know however would like to hear some confirmation from you experts.

Thanks for your opinion

yesss.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I kind of knew but did not dare to celebrate yet. With your confirmation I can finally relax and stop watching her suspiciously with every move or development she makes
big_smile.png
. and she is such a cutie, very gentle and soooo fluffy
love.gif
. now I can't wait for her to lay her first egg.

Thank you all again

Cheers Trish

Last edited:
I never got around to posting photos of my four silkies. Today we found an egg so at least one of the four is a pullet. They are about 5 months old. The one I always thought was a roo still seems to be a roo with a large comb and wattles but no streamers. The one I always thought was a pullet still seems to be a pullet. The only bearded one has a small bump for a comb but no wattles or streamers. The fourth has small wattles and a flat red spot in place of a comb. No crowing from any of the silkies but we might not notice with six full sized roosters and one cockerel the same age as the silkies.

We recently moved our silkies to a bigger pen so I may be able to get some good photos on my next day off. I was surprised that first night to see that all four silkies were up on the roost. They must have jumped from the nesting boxes.

At six months old, two are laying eggs but I am still not sure which ones. We have heard no crowing from the silkies yet.

The one I always thought was a roo might have streamers (or a bad hair day) but squats/presents when my hand is over his (?) back. The one with small wattles and a flat red spot always squats; I am fairly sure that she is a pullet as she has no streamers. The only bearded one has squatted at least once but might have streamers. The one I always thought was a pullet still seems to be a pullet but I have never seen her squat. These are Ideal hatchery silkies and the comb on the silkie with the largest comb is more like a small single comb than a proper silkie comb. None of the combs have grown in the last month.

When our various roosters are out free-ranging, none of the silkies act either agressive or protective of the other silkies when a rooster comes near.

Am I crazy to think that I may have four pullets?

The Silkie with the single comb is either a pullet or a cockerel who likes to sit in nests quietly and leave warm light brown eggs. LOL Now I need to figure out who left the round light brown egg and who left the nearly white eggs.

While I usually seem to be a large fowl rooster magnet, with 22 cockerels out of 32 straight run chicks and 2 cockerels out of 10 "pullet" chicks, the Silkie chicks seem to be helping offset that. I am glad as my 6 current full grown roosters are more than enough when I only have 17 hens (4 with one rooster, 8 with another, and 5 in retirement). 4 roosters are in bachelor's quarters.

Back
Top Bottom