silkie sexing

Here are some pics of my almost 12 week old silkie mixes. Sorry not great pics but hopefully you can give guesses on gender, if not I'll take better pics tomorrow. 1 white and 2 blacks, the buff colored one is an easter egger but if you have a guess on its gender that would be great too.

black #1

Black #2 in the center, black #1 in lower right corner

don't mind the RIR that kept photo bombing my pictures

Here are some pics of my almost 12 week old silkie mixes. Sorry not great pics but hopefully you can give guesses on gender, if not I'll take better pics tomorrow. 1 white and 2 blacks, the buff colored one is an easter egger but if you have a guess on its gender that would be great too.

black #1

Black #2 in the center, black #1 in lower right corner

don't mind the RIR that kept photo bombing my pictures
Wow, you have two of the hardest breeds to sex mixed there! I would say roo on the white one. I guess possible pullets (no guarantees) on your two black ones. Your red EE could go either way but looks alot like the one I had that turned out to be a roo. I guess, I'm not much help but as I said, these are hard breeds to sex. What does your gut tell you while you watch them in action?

Wow, you have two of the hardest breeds to sex mixed there!  I would say roo on the white one.  I guess possible pullets (no guarantees) on your two black ones.  Your red EE could go either way but looks alot like the one I had that turned out to be a roo.  I guess, I'm not much help but as I said, these are hard breeds to sex.  What does your gut tell you while you watch them in action?
thanks for your response. I've felt for a while now that the white one is probably a roo, too bad because it's getting some nice colored feathers coming in. It just looks and acts different than the other 3. Time will tell I guess, I just wondered.

Natalierose - Too young to sex, wait a few more weeks and post pictures then
smile.png

thanks for your response. I've felt for a while now that the white one is probably a roo, too bad because it's getting some nice colored feathers coming in. It just looks and acts different than the other 3. Time will tell I guess, I just wondered.
I would hang in there though until you are sure. I think some people get rid of them thinking they are roos too early and then they aren't. I got two white silkies from a lady that was sure one was a roo. Well, she wasn't and I have two adorable white silkie hens out of the deal. Sometimes I wish she had been a roo to have some silkie babies but that's just sometimes.

Thank you - I kind of figured....

But my co-op is getting more silkies Fri that include black and splash which I really want
lau.gif

I mean...what if they both end up being roos right? hehehe

I would hang in there though until you are sure.  I think some people get rid of them thinking they are roos too early and then they aren't.  I got two white silkies from a lady that was sure one was a roo.  Well, she wasn't and I have two adorable white silkie hens out of the deal.  Sometimes I wish she had been a roo to have some silkie babies but that's just sometimes.
Oh ya I won't get rid of any until I'm absolutely sure. About a month ago I had a Barred rock who I had really thought was a roo even though a lot of people said it was a hen. He crowed at 12 weeks and I had to sell him but I tried to be in denial right up until he crowed because I didn't want to get rid of any of mine. Even though I really think this white one is a roo I really hope I'm wrong because I started out with 3 while silkie chicks in my bunch of 18 chicks and I loved them the most. The other 2 died so I'm just hoping I'm wrong.

Oh ya I won't get rid of any until I'm absolutely sure. About a month ago I had a Barred rock who I had really thought was a roo even though a lot of people said it was a hen. He crowed at 12 weeks and I had to sell him but I tried to be in denial right up until he crowed because I didn't want to get rid of any of mine. Even though I really think this white one is a roo I really hope I'm wrong because I started out with 3 while silkie chicks in my bunch of 18 chicks and I loved them the most. The other 2 died so I'm just hoping I'm wrong.

I'd say that's definitely a boy. Those are male tail feathers. But the other 3 look like pullets to me.

Last edited:
I'd say that's definitely a boy. Those are male tail feathers. But the other 3 look like pullets to me.
ya I was thinking the same thing, no one else's tail feathers look like the white ones. Well I will enjoy him till he crows.

Back
Top Bottom