silkie sexing

. What kind of duck is this and male or female

Almost positive that this partridge is a roo. Any thoughts? My barred rock x silkie is a roo for sure, but I think one of my sikies are crowing too! This dude (I think?) has a few feathers shooting out of the back of his head and his chest is darker compaired to usual. Any thoughts?

Also... This is Honey. Is she a partridge or a buff? Or neither/a mutt? I was told partridge. :( But she isnt like my other partridges. Was the name wrong? Does that mean I cant show her? Much thanks!

Hello, I'm hoping you guys could help me. I got 5 beautiful silkies a few months ago and although told that they had been sexed. I am wondering about the gender of two of them, it might just be me but I'm sure I can see boyish traits, on the brown one Conker, I think he/she may be developing streamers and long hackle feathers although His/her comb is still relatively flat. Whereas Harri the buff silkie has a much larger comb than all of the rest and it is a reddish colour rather than a black one like the rest and I'm wondering if I can also see streamers developing in Harri too. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm driving my OH nuts asking him all the time, as he is convinced that they are all girls. Thank you. Forgot to add that they are 6 months old :)

If I may ask, where did you get your red Silkies? Theyre lovely! I'd love to hunt that breeder down and pester them for some hatching eggs!

The duck could be a Khaki hen. My drake has a black head and a little black "bean" on his bill. But, agreed, if its got a raspy voice its a he. If it quacks, its a she :)

I have a ~5 month old chick that I'm hoping is a pullet, but I'm really not sure. This is her:

She is slightly smaller than her brother, who is crowing, but hasn't laid an egg and doesn't seem to be interested in doing so. She sometimes scuffles with my rooster, although she's definitely second in line. As you can probably tell, she doesn't have the 5 silkie toes, and has always had the hard feathers in her tail. Until recently, her brother had by far the rounder tail, but he has since sprouted a couple of long, hard feathers that make him look even more cockrel-like. The chicken in the picture is not particularly friendly, though she seems to be getting at least more tolerant of me being near her as she gets older. When they were younger, the cockrel seemed protective of her and was always near her, but lately he has been showing less concern for her well-being. Is she actually a pullet? Or is she another cockrel?

For comparison, this is her brother:

I have a ~5 month old chick that I'm hoping is a pullet, but I'm really not sure. This is her: She is slightly smaller than her brother, who is crowing, but hasn't laid an egg and doesn't seem to be interested in doing so. She sometimes scuffles with my rooster, although she's definitely second in line. As you can probably tell, she doesn't have the 5 silkie toes, and has always had the hard feathers in her tail. Until recently, her brother had by far the rounder tail, but he has since sprouted a couple of long, hard feathers that make him look even more cockrel-like. The chicken in the picture is not particularly friendly, though she seems to be getting at least more tolerant of me being near her as she gets older. When they were younger, the cockrel seemed protective of her and was always near her, but lately he has been showing less concern for her well-being. Is she actually a pullet? Or is she another cockrel? For comparison, this is her brother:
I think pullet.

I have a silkie rooster...9-10 months old...who is all rooster with my bantam cochin and silkie. I also have 4 baby silkies...4-6 months old...growing up in the same pen. With your help I'm trying to accept that one of my favorites is a roo. If he is, how long can/will they coexist if they have 11 hens with them? What size pen do I need to have to house them all together (if possible).

Back
Top Bottom