Silkie Temperament

Ours all have very different temperaments.

There are some similarities between lines though. Nikki from hattrick's birds are all fast and smart... they poop in the yard... step back 6 feet and wait for the fly's to come so they can pounce on them! They are quite curious about everything... they can get themselves into a lot of trouble!

Others that we have from another breeder are slow, sweet and lazy. They are great for cuddling and taking naps in the yard with.

We have a pet one from Melanie at fluff n' stuff that is the bossiest thing EVER! She tells us what to do and where to go for sure. She even had my husband build her 'her own' house. She tugs at your pants when she is thirsty and even mimicks my husbands snoring at night... she used to have 'her house' next to his night stand.

They are different at different ages too. We have a buff girl that wouldn't have a thing to do with us until she was about three months old... and now we can't shake her. She follows us everywhere and sits on your feet if you’re not holding her. She just wants to be right with you.

We are acquiring bird to start our own line and can't wait to see how 'our' birds turn out personality wise after mixing them all up!

Omg!

They all sound so cute!!

I am kind of waiting for their little personalities to show...

Haven't seen any big difference from them yet (they are all still scared lol)

Do you have any pictures, Happy Chicken Mama?

My first roo was my baby. He would lay in my arms like a baby and we walk around together. At the show we went to no one believe me that he wasn't a stuffed animal.

I always start feeding mine baby parrot formula from a syringe. As soon as they realize how good it is they practically run over everyone in their path whenever they see me.....
lol.png

Pet store in the bird section. I occasionally give it (dry) to tiny youngsters instead of starter crumbles or mix it with water to a mashed potato consistency and syringe feed birds who can't/won't eat.

Yep,

The way to a silkies heart for sure is through their stomach! We give them as midgets (as soon as they can eat) a mixture of:

Oatmeal (finely ground before it's cooked)
Peanut Butter
Yogurt
Honey
And Vitamins (they never know it’s good for them;))

After about two weeks we start to mix in their starter and progressively the mixture gets thicker until it's all starter and then we just give the goop to them one a week or so as a treat.

I have lots of pictures... like yours... it's great fun to stuff them in odd containers!

This is 'whoopy' at a fancy cocktail party with one of our guests... she loves parties! She gets her picture taken with everyone...

1707_328.jpg

These are some babies from this spring... they are the lazy sleeping ones I was telling you about.

1707_22222.jpg

1707_3333.jpg

If you PM me your email I'd be happy to shoot you some better pictures! I only have a few on the BYC upload thingy...

Clyde, Pepper and Leon will come around for sure if you keep up all of the good work! If you hold them everynight while you watch tv... or have them come and live inside for a few weeks... they will be yours!

Last edited:
I will definitely try that mash!

They honey won't hurt them??

I know human babies can't eat it... LOL

Oh! and it is so much fun to find every little thing and stuff 'em in it! They don't like it at first, but they are really good about staying in the torturous containers!

Back
Top Bottom