Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. bantamgirl

bantamgirl Chirping

Apr 8, 2012
    Hi. I just got my first pair of silkie chicks on the 12. They where a early Bday present from my best friend. One was buff and the other black. they where two weeks old. Sadly the buff one died on my Bday. the black ones name is Blackberry. At first he was a little lonely but he's getting used to being alone. I make sure to spend lots of time with the little chick, and he is growing very atached to me. I'm not sure if it is a boy or a girl.[​IMG]

2. So sorry about your buff. Hope you can find more!

3. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chirping

Apr 21, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your buff.. where are you located , you can have one of my babies so it wont be lonley [​IMG]you cant just have one RIGHT silkie lovers out there !

4. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Here are some more pictures of my current Silkie Rooster: (trying to find out his quality - his personality is impeccable but how about looks)

[​IMG]
    Above: Headshot

[​IMG]
    Above: Bodyshot

[​IMG]
    Above: From the top

[​IMG]Above: Foot

And that's my guy. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  5. I afraid your boy lacks type which is so critical in raising show quality silkies. You don't say how old he is so that could improve. On the previous page there is a dark blue pullet that has the desirable S shape to her head, neck and chest in case you are not sure what to look for. Your foot photo is incomplete as the feathering on the middle front toe is very important. I like the soft feathering on his foot but he may need a little more feathering. It's a bit hard to tell. In the over head shot your boy's tail is crooked. Check that carefully because if it is truly crooked (wry tail) that is a DQ. I think he has a very nice crest and beard. I'd like to see his wings tuck up higher but depending on his age he maybe lowering them for the girls. :) Hope this helps and also hope you get some advice from someone who knows more than me!

6. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Thanks...he's turning in the above picture, he does have a strait tail. I'm not sure he's posing either but I do have hens from the Hatricks flock with the "S" thing. He's around a year old, maybe a little less. I culled out the other rooster I had because he had a mush comb, I took a picture before I got rid of him:

Could get him back? They didn't want a rooster but I had to get rid of a rooster so they helped me out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No body shots...but if he's better I could swap him out.

7. Looks like he has a nice crest and beard. Nice dark comb that's sometimes hard to get on a buff. Can't see much else but he does look pretty typy with his chest puffed out.

8. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    So should I swap him?

9. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chirping

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    My little 6 wk old babies got caught in the rain. Thankfully I was not gone long. You would think they would go inside the coop, but the older ones did not and they follow them, so I came home to some drowned chickies. I grabbed three of my 4 silkies (the other was not shivering and drying herself off) and took them inside to blow dry them out (low heat). They acted like they were at a spa...they loved it. Anyway they came out nice and fluffy, so I thought it would be a good time for some pictures. I would love some opinions on their sex. I know it is too early, but I see differences in their combs so my thinking is I have one of each?
    So here is Butter on the left and Popcorn on the right ( I think. I cant tell since they are fluffled out...lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. skyl3r

skyl3r Chirping

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    Ok, we took all 11 chickens out to the coop today since it was so warm! It was so fun. They were took goofy, flapping wings and running, the silkies were hopping and running up and down the ramp! Hilarious. My daughter climbed up the ramp into the loft area. lol. And she grabbed up her Einstein pretty quick! Here are a couple of pics that turned out.

Einstein 8 weeks with Trinity, my 2.5 year old being very gentle.
    [​IMG]

Trinity going a little overboard on the squeeze. Scrambled is very patient. Everything turned out ok, he's so little, she really wasn't squeezing too hard ;)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by