Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes you can tell at 6 - 8 weeks and sometimes not until they lay an egg or crow!

2. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    maybe if you post a good picture we might be able to give you a good guess.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    One of my silkie hens hatched out 6 eggs yesterday morning. I went out to feed and heard the little peeps . She had 4 whites and 2 partridge. Its was 105 outside and I was worried all day and kept checking in on her. The babies were crawling undernearth her belly and I worried they would get to hot . And I was right , but that evening when I went to check there was one white chick laying asleep next to her but the other 5 were under her belly dead from the AZ heat. Mother hen ran around crying for her babies so I put her and the last baby in the nursery last night with all 15 babies. She calmed right down but the last baby was trying to crawl under her and im afraid what im going to find this morning. This was the first time I let a hen hatch her own eggs . And this is exacally why. Its just to hot here and when the babies cuddle under momma they overheat and die.I had her in one of my coolest pens but it was just to hot outside. Next time I will just pull the chicks from mom and bring them inside
    .The Heartaches of Farming. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

That is so heartbreaking! I'm so very sorry... [​IMG]

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is terrible. :( So sorry about your babies.

6. Hawkeye95

I had ordered BBS eggs shipped to me. This hatched out of my BBS eggs yesterday! (he's not a BBS) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Can someone tell me how warm is too warm to ship silkies? I have a feeling it is too warm here already. I have never shipped birds before....

8. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Awwww....is that a gray? Kinda looks like it, but I may be seeing some warm tones in there...?

9. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    How heartbreaking! (((BIG HUG)))

10. Hawkeye95

I think it's a silver partridge! It's not Gold, that's for sure! LOL I'll have to ask the breeder what I got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by