Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cute!! I finally had my broody and her chick join the rest of the group a couple of days ago. I waited until her baby was a bit over a month old. I was just being cautious-- your chicks are just adorable and growing! My broody is also really sweet and isn't a mean mama. She's very comfortable with me.

Thank you! Yeah, I imagine having your own home is worth not having the deck. [​IMG]

It was so silly, I've been fighting with that under deck area for a long time trying to grow plants, etc. Giving up was the best idea yet! LOL

Thanks to everyone else that liked my "deck pen" as well! I didn't want to quote everyone and risk this being a super long post! I worked hard on it and am so happy with the results. [​IMG]

I think he's pretty nice. His comb looks okay--but it's really hard to tell if it's mulberry though.. you don't want anything too red. Usually it's best to take a picture of your birds in good diffused lighting during the day. It tends to give you more true colors. It doesn't look like he has any leakage in his hackles or wings, so that's good. He seems to have pretty decent type with a nice wide chest, but I'm having a hard time seeing his feet--- looks like he's a bit sparse on foot feathering. You shouldn't be able to see that middle toe. I'm not sure what the standard is for Non-bearded roosters-- if it's okay to have really red wattles or not. Someone else would have to say. [​IMG] Is he really sweet? I have a splash roo that is just a super nice boy and loves being pet.

2. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

Thanks Barngoddess. I'm hoping that's the case. I've had them only a short time, but I totally adore them and would hate to lose one. Especially if I could have prevented it. I'll keep an eye on her.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just be sure it's not bumble foot. I'd take a look at the pads of her feet and look for any sores or any spots that are out of place. They start out pretty small and grow as infection sets in.

4. bantamgirl

bantamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    I don't think I'm going to get another one. he is three weeks old now. As soon as he is a little bigger he's going to move in with my hen. To tell the truth I don't even have the coop built yet. He's doing great on his own, I take him outside on sunny days and he follows me around the yard. The little thing is obsessed with sitting on my shoulder. The other day he was on my lap and he tried to fly up on to my shoulder. He ended up tangled in my hair. After i got him untangled i set him on my shoulder and he cuddled up to my neck. It was adorable. I would love to have another silkie but I'm a little short on space thanks for the offer though.

5. bantamgirl

bantamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Dose any one know how to tell if a three week old silkie is a boy or girl.
    thanks.

6. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    thats a great idea making it under the deck for more shade.really cute pen ,but will it get wet when it rains?

7. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    thats a great idea making it under the deck for more shade.really cute pen ,but will it get wet when it rains?

8. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    So glad you caught them in time. I think more silkies are lots from getting cold and damp because of theyre non water repellent fluff. those are way to cute babies , I just love them

9. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

That was my first thought. Years ago I had a RIR with it so I do know what it looks like. We culled her.

10. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    One of my original hens died of bumblefoot. I wasn't smart enough to know what to look for and by the time I realized what it was, it was too late. [​IMG] Now I know better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by