Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    HELP! One of my silkies is limping. She's eating/drinking fine. Lola is 2 months old. What could be wrong? Is there anything I should be doing?

2. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    She is very friendly, in my short experience my 4 Silkie mommas have been very friendly...the only issue I have had is with a hen that twice walked away from her eggs and concentrated in getting into the pen where the chicks were. She laid there and wouldn't move at all, if I fed her she would call them, hoping they would come and accept her as their new mom. Every time she sees the chicks she tries to steal them for herself.
    One thing I did notice is, this group of chicks is not as friendly as my previous groups, the hen normally is skittish, so not sure if she is transmitting that into them, but I have a hard time picking them up without getting the whole neighborhood wondering who is getting killed, they get loud.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I have that problem too. The chicks are so much tamer when I raise them in the brooder.

4. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

A tip to make your chicks like you more :) give them 1 time a week yoghurt with muesli !! It is healthy and they like it soooo much they will run towards you when they see you coming with it ;-)

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Hard to know without more details but I will say - I had a young one limping a few years ago. Nothing came of it. A couple of days later, she was fine and she remains fine to this day. I can only assume she did something to hurt her leg that I didn't see and that wasn't serious. I hope it is nothing with Lola as well.

6. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    His comb is mulberry and I'm not sure about his feet I'll have to check whenever I go back out to see the chickens. I will defiantly ask next show. Thanks!!!

7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

What is muesli??

8. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop

9. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Popcorn is a boy for sure. I'm not sure about Butter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by