Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Yeah that was what I was thinking, but I know I need to wait a couple more weeks. I am allowing myself 2 roos and I really do not want two white ones, and I would be torn to tear these two apart. I noticed today that Popcorn's head hair is starting to show looked little streaming, but need to wait till it all grows out. Oh the waiting.....[​IMG]

2. Brown Chicka Brown Cow

Brown Chicka Brown Cow Chillin' With My Peeps

Just in case anyone is interested, I have 24 Partridge Silkie eggs on the Crazy 24 hour auction in the Chickenstock area. Hope it's ok to post, if not please delete. Thanks!

3. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I want a porcelain. I'll check out the auction forum. Thanks!

Now that is genius! [​IMG] I love it. If I still lived with my old roommate, I'd totally copy your idea. We had a huge deck, I could have put two, even three, good sized pens under there. Why didn't I ever think of that before..? [​IMG]Oh well. I love living in my own house better so I think I'll survive. lol

4. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Barngoddess - so sorry about your cross beak and having to cull. I'm certain many of us will have to face that one day and I am dreading it.

KMH - I am on pins and needles for you!!! Fingers crossed for the best results from your hatch! [​IMG]
    What a fantastic idea! I'm planning on having another coop and run built just for my silkies, but if I could have even another grow out pen that would be even better. Brilliant use of space! Looks good too! [​IMG]

5. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

I'm interested in your chicks also. Will try to find the auction,
    Tina

6. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Porcelains & Lavenders??

Are there any in the Connecticut area? Or somewhere near Connecticut? I have found breeders everywhere but near home. It would be nice if I could go pick some up rather than having them go through the shipping process. I saw Catdance had a beaufitul beautiful pair of Porcelains, but they're way on the other side of the continent.

7. luvussomechicks

luvussomechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Are there different types of Silkies or are they go by color? Some seem to be fatter, bigger, fluffier different breeds or sex or just what they turned out to look like?

I have an unusual Silky. I purchased 2 at the same time, just hatched. Same mom and dad. Both grey/silver just like one at the bowl of food in other pic. But as they grew, I found they
    are very different! One is a normal Silkie, other didn't get so fuzzy. Fuzzy top hat, tail and feet. Extra toe on feet. But smooth feathers! It looks like it mixed with my Lavender Orph!
    It looks like a Polish Lavender Silkie, lol![​IMG][​IMG]

8. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I don't think that's a Silkie? It seems to have black feet, maybe a mix? Silkies do not have normal feathers like this little one does.

9. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    Here is a pic of my roo, Prune, critique anyone? btw, I have no plans for any show at any time nor any specialized breeding program, just have him because I love the way they look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Lovey, black hen
    [​IMG]

10. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

What is muesli??
    Indeed Muesli are multi-grain cereal + dried fruits. But it's the yoghurt that give them the advantage ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by