Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Black silkies have an especially hard time seeing at night because of their crest and they often don't like going into a dark cave. Try putting a solar light in the coop for a few nights. You will liking have to put her in for a day or two if she is used to roosting somewhere else.

2. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    Ah ha...ok, I can do that, thanks for the advice

3. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    OK, finally I got a few photos today. Although, the silkies were not being their photogenic selves. Made us work hard for the pics. If you want to take a guess at the gender, please do. I inspected closely today. No wattles or combs yet. Although, Einstein did make an odd noise when it was calling to the other chicks. Wasn't a crow, but sounded like he was cooing/singing.

Finally our lil silkie chick, Scrambled, is growing...too bad its only part of him growing. Apparently the growth spurt forgot to occur in the head. @9wks
    [​IMG]

Einstein looking grouchy, 9 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Einstein, our splash silkie 9 weeks old today.
    [​IMG]

4. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    And because we love it, our Silkie/Frizzle Cochin cross. It is 9 weeks today also. If you have any ideas of what its gender might be let me know. I am not sure what to look for waiting for an egg or a crow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. peepblessed

Einstein just needs to share some of that abundant crest with Scrambled. Einstein is looking awesome! Great photos too!!

6. peepblessed

Really cool looking chick! Can't help you with the sex though.

7. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

Our setup is not yet completed, but we are going to use a nice dog kennel for the outside run that can be used as a modular system. The panels are 5' wide by 6' tall and the gate section is the same dimension, for easy access and cleaning of the run. By adding or removing panels we can create either one big run or divide it into separate sections.

By placing 7 panels alongside the 16' length of our shed (soon to be coop) we can create a 10' x 15' run that has an entrance on each 10' side. These units are extremely easy to assemble and move around. We are still figuring out our layout before we decide on how to cover the run(s).

When we first bought our 10 egg layer chicks, I thought 10' x 15' would be fine. Now that we added 4 silkie chicks and 2 polish, I will create a separate run area for them.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/doc-bo...large-breed-5-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h-3606033

8. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    I just love the pics of your sillies and polish! My daughter and I really enjoy all the photos on these pages that folks are willing to share. Your frizzle is very cute.

9. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    I just got my babies home. Out of 10 that went into lockdown only 4 hatched. one blue one pipped then quit. I guess that happens. Disappointing but I am ready to hatch more!
    I have already got more eggs coming! [​IMG]

The babies are soo cute! Pictures coming soon!

So I have shown them the water, and the first hatched seems to have gotten it. The others born yesterday and today are still trying get their legs under them.
    I think they will get it with the other one doing it. But what about food?
    I tapped in it with my finger and as of yet they are not interested. When should I worry? And what should I do?
    Any ideas to get them eating in the near future?

Thanks!
    Kim

10. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

B/B/S with dark yellow-orange around the eyes or forehead indicate they are gold based.
    The most plausible reason for that "red" leakage is the missing of melanisers.
    Also impure e-allele (E/eb) and/or Columbian restrictors like Co, Mh?, Db?...

Since "E" is Dominant over "eb" (in E/eb) it should turn out as a Blue with some gold leakage in hackles & wingbow, more when a male less when a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by