Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute partridge Chisandchickens!!! Owen is a PERFECT name for your little cockerel!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

It's usually the cheek (muff) that cause them the most problem and also curl into their eyes. I usually trim cheek feathers with blunt baby scissors starting at 6 wks and sometimes way earlier depending on the bird. Those cheek feathers can totally block their ability to get around. Crest feathers usually only need trimming on a very large crest or if you are free ranging and want them to be able to see a hawk.

3. peepblessed

I put new babies on an old towel for good traction and grind my chick feed a bit in my coffee grinder. I also feed free choice alfalfa leafs because I have access to it. I sprinkle this right on the towel below the light also put their water there. A lid with pebbles works well. I switch them to a feeder after few days. They are all eating and drinking within a few hours.

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

You won't be sorry! I did REALLY well with my Catdance blue/splash and those poor eggs shipped CLEAR across country and then some. Great hatch rate and FABULOUS looking chicks so far. I'm excited. (I even got two that appear black at this point - egos to the moon on both of them! And they appear to be opposite sex. Not sure as they are still just 7 weeks old but I have high hopes!)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

Ah... Is leakage a genetic fault of some sort? Or does it mean that colors other than B/B/S have been introduced somewhere in the breeding line?

Also, is it true that black bred to black will produce a deeper truer black color than a black coming out of a B/B/S pen breeding?

I'd like to understand this a bit more, so that we can be more educated when going forward and purchasing more chicks. Thanks!

6. peepblessed

Here's are photos of my Catdance chicks that hatched yesterday. One porcelain, 3 lavender, 5 BBS. Great chicks!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my favorite! Lavender extra fluff!
    [​IMG]

7. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aaaawwww! I miss my babies being that little! You're giving me chick fever.... lol

8. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    YAH!! As if I wasn't excited enough! This will be my first ever hatch, so I am scared!

9. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Owen, lol, very cleaver! How old is he? My silkie is about 2 1/2 months now and doesn't have quite as big of a crest as Owen's sisters.

10. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Can anyone tell me if this silkie chick is a pullet or roo? She/he is about 10 weeks old now. Thanks.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by