Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Too soon for me. :)

2. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

No, leakage is not a genetic fault it only means that in this case there are no melanizers at work.
    No, breeding black to black not implicate deeper intensity of black color, to do this you need the black-pigment melanizers.
    To understand more about color-genetics you need to learn the working of the color-genes and there inhirit ways.
    As with everything it seems at first an insurmountable mountain but everybody can clim it, step by step ;-)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    Thank you both so much. Yesterday, when I was kinda brushing the cheek feathers away, I even noticed that there was part of the feathers in the lower eyelid, they came our wet with a little junk on them. I am going to cut them back tonight. I feel bad because Einstein was so outgoing, getting into everything. Now, it almost seems like she is in shock, just kinda standing around until I move her! Its not killing her or anything, but she seems more timid all of a sudden. I think I am going to trim them away this evening and cut the darn talons on her toes too! She's a mess!! I think she will be very excited to see. I don't think I would ever show, just too much stress in showing Clydesdale maybe soured me a little! But thank you again for great advice!

4. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    Owen is a perfect name. It fits him perfectly!

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

ADORABLE!!! What great colors you have! They are all so fluffy! :)

10 weeks is too early to tell on a silkie as they could start to develop their comb later on. For right now, it looks like a pullet, but that may change as s/he develops over the next couple of months.

6. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Adorable

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Here is a pic of some Catdance silkies that just hatched that I am using to mother my Chinese Painted Button Quail that just hatched [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

Thanks again for your help. I am going to study your genetic guide! I may try to print it out and read in the car this weekend as we travel to Williamsburg, VA.

9. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    OMG! I want quail so very badly! Did you use an incubator to hatch them? All my tries to incubate quail eggs have been unsuccessful. I had one that made it to about 4 days before it was supposed to hatch. It was very sad to crack open the egg 3 days after due date and see a fully formed chick that I really thought was going to make it.

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    It took me three tries to actually get any that made it out of their eggs alive then they all died within a week [​IMG][​IMG] Dingo on here mentioned he puts them in with silkies when they hatch and he gets a good survival rate [​IMG][​IMG]. It works [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!!!! Not to mention when you peek in the brooder box and you get to see tiny button quail riding their silkie ponies it is just simply to die for - LOL [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I use high humidity when they incubate and then even higher when they hatch. A spray bottle of warm water spritzed in on the eggs as they are hatching helps [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by