Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    super cute boy ,

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Thanks Jessy!!

3. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop

Thank you, we're having a blast with them. The whole family. They are all so sweet to my 2 year old daughter too!

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    ok y'all convinced me!!! I have a dozen blue/splash Catdance eggs on the way for my first hatch!! I am excited and nervous at the same time. My luck, I will fry them! And next week I have 6 paint eggs coming, too. Plus I am collecting from my one girl who is in with my favorite boy. Of course, she isn't laying at the moment.....

5. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    Ok, I know saw something about trimming around the eyes & head, but it may have been in the polish thread. MIT seems like Einstein is a little more reserved this week, and last night I was having to wave the treat in front of her head to get her attention. So I kinda parted her hair and moved those cheek ?? Feathers down some. After that she stood taller and seemed more confident. Do you ever trim around their eyes? Or those cheek?? Areas? I don't want her personality to change because she can't see at all. Her feathers completely cover both eyes. Or Is this all in my head?

6. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

I think they aren't really interested in food for the first 72 hours. They are working off the nourishment from the yolk. (Via FFA Raising chickens book)

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

yes some people trim, those who show will tape the crests or use gelatin to gel the fluff out of the way, or even pluck some around the eyes...

I say go ahead and trim around there, its usually more the beard thats a big problem than the crest in my opinion, but trim the beard/cheek area under the eye and the crest that falls right above/front of the eye, just enough that if you hold her to eye level you can see her eyes.

8. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Jessy do show folks trim minimally or not at all? Do they keep their birds up and out of pens prior to showing? If so for how long and where/how are they kept?
    Thanks!

9. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Had to post this too-cute pic of my little partridge cockerel. Poor little fella has a crooked beak so I named him Owen (Owen Wilson lol). Does he look like an Owen or what!?
    [​IMG]

His sisters are looking good though...very dark!
    [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

most pluck or will trim very lightly - some judges are really cracking down on birds with big crests and say the birds absolutely should be able to see forward, and will dock points if they feel the birds' vision is too obstructed by lack of grooming.

Many from my understanding put their birds in show cages about 6-8 weeks before show season and pluck out damaged feathers to get them to grow back (feet, wings) some folks even try to force a molt way ahead of show season, but I don't know of any silkie people who do that though.

for more indepth info on show conditioning you'll have to ask someone with actual experience in the showing department.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by