Silkie thread!

Thought I'd post a quick pic of part of my first broody clutch! (The Marans folks are getting tired of my Silkie pics I think? ) Any way, I have 4 hens and a roo in this pen, with now 16 chicks. All of the adults take care of all the babies, it is so amazing to me! The roo refuses to go into the coop at night, until all little bodies are inside. I never dealt with broodies before, but all 4 hens sat on the nest, and took their turns going outside to eat, drink, and stretch. I finally took the remaining 8 eggs out from under my Splash girl, as the other hens took care of the chicks outside, and she was left alone to incubate. She was looking worn out, even with me bringing her food and water, so I took the eggs and put them in the bator. Two hatched last night, and there are other eggs in there too from the Partridge pen. The two that hatched were Partridges, and took them out to the pen this morning, where the Splash gal is looking over them. I think I love this broody thing!

What a sweet family portrait! I love stories how the silkies cooperatively raise the babies together.

OMW!! Those hens are so beautiful and those chicks are precious! I always forget how teeny those chicks are until you see them next to adults...
I know! They are so small outside, after you are used to looking at them in a brooder set up. The girls are looking pretty ratty right now, but they have their hands full!

So I went camera happy again today. lol
As I was going through my pictures, I noticed that little Beavis has some blue by his ear. At least I think it's blue..? What is that colorful blue by their ears called?
Now, does this mean anything color wise? I'm guessin Beavis will either be blue or splash, maybe leaning more towards splash?

This is also Beavis. I really have no clue what color he/she is...?

I love my rooster Curly! He is so photogenic.
love.gif

I'm pretty sure this is one of Curly's babies.
Those of you who are experts with the beaks?! Is there a chance of this one being a hen? I don't see too big of a curve on the beak.
This chick is about a month and 4 days old now. Too early to tell?

This was the funniest picture out of all the shots I took today. Not the best one, but definitely the funniest one.
lol.png

As I was going through my pictures, I noticed that little Beavis has some blue by his ear. At least I think it's blue..? What is that colorful blue by their ears called?
Now, does this mean anything color wise? I'm guessin Beavis will either be blue or splash, maybe leaning more towards splash? 

I love my rooster Curly! He is so photogenic. :love

[COLOR=FF0000]Those of you who are experts with the beaks?! Is there a chance of this one being a hen? I don't see too big of a curve on the beak.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]This chick is about a month and 4 days old now. Too early to tell?[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]

This was the funniest picture out of all the shots I took today. Not the best one, but definitely the funniest one. :lol:

That last one is a hoot!

Now, does this mean anything color wise? I'm guessin Beavis will either be blue or splash, maybe leaning more towards splash?

I love my rooster Curly! He is so photogenic.
love.gif

Those of you who are experts with the beaks?! Is there a chance of this one being a hen? I don't see too big of a curve on the beak.
This chick is about a month and 4 days old now. Too early to tell?

This was the funniest picture out of all the shots I took today. Not the best one, but definitely the funniest one.
lol.png

Blue earlobes. They are supposed to have blue ear lobes.
wink.png
I have a couple of very poor quality hatchery birds that have red ear lobes with a tiny bit of blue in them. They aren't supposed to be red.
big_smile.png
But I do believe someone on here a while back said that even very nice quality birds will get a bit red when they get older. I forget who said that, now. These are great looking birds! I love their colors! I really love your Curly rooster! His color is amazing, almost a Columbian!

ETA: your Beavis is a Splash. At least, he looks exactly like my splash chicks. ;)

I'm back! We went to Disney World for the week and I'm worn out. So glad to be back home with my animals. :)

Last edited:
That blue you see is his ear lobe, and it's supposed to be like that! He looks Splash to me. Cute last pic!!! Mamma, waaaaiiiiittt for us!!!!!!!
gig.gif

Blue earlobes. They are supposed to have blue ear lobes.
wink.png
I have a couple of very poor quality hatchery birds that have red ear lobes with a tiny bit of blue in them. They aren't supposed to be red.
big_smile.png
But I do believe someone on here a while back said that even very nice quality birds will get a bit red when they get older. I forget who said that, now. These are great looking birds! I love their colors! I really love your Curly rooster! His color is amazing, almost a Columbian!

ETA: your Beavis is a Splash. At least, he looks exactly like my splash chicks. ;)

I'm back! We went to Disney World for the week and I'm worn out. So glad to be back home with my animals. :)
I'm amazed how many nice things people have said about Curly.
big_smile.png
Someone once said I should try finding him a Columbian hen and try breeding him. I just can't seem to find a Columbian hen. So if anyone has one!! I'll take her off your hands! lol

That blue you see is his ear lobe, and it's supposed to be like that! He looks Splash to me. Cute last pic!!! Mamma, waaaaiiiiittt for us!!!!!!!
gig.gif
Oh my god! I'm such a dork.
lau.gif

That's a good thing then. lol I don't think all our birds have blue ear lobes but that's ok because they're pets anyway. There's definitely no red, I know that much. Oh, our little splash rooster might have red. I wish we could find him a home, he's hideous and a nasty patty too on top of it all!
lol.png
Oh well.. Maybe I should go check some ear lobes and see what colors I can find. lol

Last edited:
I'm amazed how many nice things people have said about Curly.
big_smile.png
Someone once said I should try finding him a Columbian hen and try breeding him. I just can't seem to find a Columbian hen. So if anyone has one!! I'll take her off your hands! lol
Yeah, if I had Curly, I'd be hunting down a Columbian hen, or checking into eggs.
wink.png
I foresee myself jumping in on the Columbian project wagon in another year or so... hehe! That color is just so stunning.

Yeah, if I had Curly, I'd be hunting down a Columbian hen, or checking into eggs.
wink.png
I foresee myself jumping in on the Columbian project wagon in another year or so... hehe! That color is just so stunning.
The funny thing is that I never knew what I had in this little rooster until I started hanging out here at BYC. I'm so excited! I know he has a little bit of red on his wattles and comb, but someone still recommended trying him out for breeding with a good hen. The random eggs that I have hatched by him, he seems to be throwing better foot feathering and more poof in general. Unles it's the hens.. I'd like to think it's him. lol

I might get into these Columbians next year also! I've been trying to hunt down some Porcelains and Lavenders as well. I must be crazy. lol Sort of a wild choice of colors to start out with?

Some more pics of my Silkie group! It was so nice out today I was able to get a few nice pics of everyone.

I am pretty sure this one is a little boy, named Capt. Kirk. Still going back and forth on blue or lavender though

I just love this little girl, named Guinan. She is just a ball of fluff!

Another shot of Guinan

This is Guinan's hatchmate, Worf. Keep going back and forth on boy/girl.

The only shot I could get of my splash, hopefully girl Janeway, next to my favorite T'pol, my mystery girl

A nice little group shot, Picard on the ramp, thinking this one is also a boy.

Back
Top Bottom