Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your Blues are very nice! They have a "medium" to small crest that the judge was so hard on me about. My girl is a bit larger than these on crest-- yours may fill out a bit more since they are young. Good wings on them. They will probably get more cushion too, they are lacking there for right now, but these are very nice. (they are young, so they have some more filling in to do) I think you're going to be really happy when they fill in! That cuckoo is gorgeous!

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Colour has virtually nothing to do with "quality". As Hawkeye95 explained above in MUCH nicer words, that's nonsense! If you are starting with "quality" white birds you would never breed to black and vice versa. And you won't get quality from junk regardless of their colour. [​IMG]

However, sometimes folks inject black into a breeding program to improve the colour of the birds they are working with. Black can be a good, clean genetic base to start from/work with.

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Indeed, low on the list!! But right now I have a nice big selection to choose from and I don't need to use these birds. [​IMG] Since it is so low on the list, it might be easy to sell these birds-- I have a lot of nice chicks right now with minor toe problems. I'm letting them grow out a bit more to be doubly sure before I get rid of something, though.

**Speaking of which--- how do the rest of you judge the fusing of the toes.... minor or major problem? I'm just wondering if I have a super nice bird develop that has fused toes if it's worth keeping or to get rid of them regardless. My shipped eggs came out with half fused and a few are okay. Disappointing, but I knew that was bound to happen.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. Hawkeye95

I obviously need more lessons on toe placement! Beware... I will likely be posting toe pictures now for you to evaluate! LOL! And you're saying that brachydactyly is a DQ in Europe, right? I figured it was something I didn't want to mess with anyway. It's the only chick to hatch to have this problem. Well, tomorrow, I'm going to take some toe pictures and have you help me sort some chicks out! [​IMG]

10. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Love that picture [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by