Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lice and mites can and do happen, and it is not always obvious from simply looking at the birds. At times of stress, most health issues can escalate, and shipping, even under the best of circumstances, is stressful. However, a bird that is being shipped should be treated at least a day or two beforehand, regardless of whether issues with bugs are suspected. Now most treatments will not kill eggs, so you would probably have to re-treat a week afterwards, and probably a third time as well to completely break the cycle. But that depends on the particular products used.

My preferred method is to bathe in a flea/tick shampoo labeled for cats or dogs. For a really bad infestation you can use human lice shampoo. Make sure to completely rinse the product off; white vinegar in the rinse water helps with this.

Dusting needs to be with either a permethrin/pyrethrin or carbaryl based product. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is useless against an infestation. There is some evidence that it can help prevent them. Note that most of these powders/dusts are very drying to the skin, and that itself could cause itching.

You can also use a flea/tick/mite spray formulated for dogs, cats or birds. Lice cannot live long off the birds; mites can, so if you find mites, you will need to thoroughly treat all housing and replace all bedding.

For the bird that is still lethargic, keep an eye on its poop. Scrambled or hardboiled eggs are a good plan, and gatorade or pedialyte added to the water. If there is not a rapid improvement, consider treating for coccidiosis and/or worms.

Note that wild birds are probably the most common vectors of lice & mites, and even of worms, although earthworks and cockroaches are also important worm vectors.

2. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    thanx I will do that today! I am using Sevin.

3. lil mama

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    [​IMG] I agree! Dont sell infested birds?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

1 person likes this.
  5. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

Thank you!

6. lil mama

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    Thanks for all the info. It was very obvious that she had lice. As soon as I picked her up I could see the eggs all over her beard and by her ears. I want to worm her too but I am afraid to do too much at once.

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    OH. MY. GOSH. These ugly little birds started showing up in my pen eating my chicken feed last week and NOW MY FLOCK has MITES! GAHHHHHH....I'm not selling hatching eggs for a while or eating the eggs for at least two months after I have this cleared up. Nasty little birds brought mites, the red kind. I used the rest of my poultry powder to try and help and I was only able to dust around 7 or 8 birds and then the bottle ran out. Its the kind that costs $10 at the feed store. GAHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh! And that is how I feel, I feel like a nasty chicken keeper, these birds are kept in a clean enviroment[​IMG] and its so sad.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Put some ivermectin in the water and treat both your clock and the wild birds that are bringing in the mites...

9. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    How do I treat the little yucky birds? I just hung my feeder and waterer in the coop so the little birds hopefully won't go in there...

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

They will still go in the coop, trust me. I currently have a wild bird that built a nest (without me realizing it) and now there are baby birds in the rafters! I am not cruel enough to dump out featherless baby birds. I'm going to treat everyone in the coop, even though I see no signs of mites or lice... I figure it's a matter of time there. [​IMG] The ivermectin is something you can get at any farm store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by