Silkie thread!

That Amtyl is pretty good stuff, safe for chickens. I'd check the expiration date to be sure it's still okay since you don't know how you came by it. I'd try the VetRX first for a couple of days, and if it gets worse, that would be a good choice. You can also order the VetRX online, but it'd sure be easier if you could buy it off the shelf. I've never seen it sold at TSC, but my Atwoods store usually always has it in stock. I buy 3 bottles at a time. I don't go thru it that fast, but I like to have it on hand. If anything goes wrong for me, it's usually after hours, during a holiday or a major snow storm where you can't get out. Always. LOL! So I think ahead and buy things a little at a time and keep a medicine cabinet full of meds for the birds, horses, dogs, etc.. My vet knows me well and will keep me supplied in injectible meds too, so I don't have to go driving clear into town.

OH and BTW, I do use pigeon products on my birds because it's often better than what you can find labeled for 'chickens'.
Oh good. I'll keep this stuff around then. Hopefully I won't need it.
big_smile.png

I think we also have some sort of a feed out in the barn that's supposed to be medicated. Recommended for respiratory diseases and such. I'll have to go find the bag and see what this stuff is really for.

Oh good. I'll keep this stuff around then. Hopefully I won't need it.
big_smile.png

I think we also have some sort of a feed out in the barn that's supposed to be medicated. Recommended for respiratory diseases and such. I'll have to go find the bag and see what this stuff is really for.
I've not heard of a feed that can be used as an antibiotic unless you're just talking about a medicated chick starter? The medicated chick starters have amprolium in them to give chicks an immunity to coccidiosis. You feed it for several weeks to build up their immunity. I'd be interested in what kind of feed you have that has an antibiotic in it. My guess is that if that is the case, it would expire quickly. In which case, meds that expire lose their potency. I forget the percentage of loss of potency, but I used to know that. I know with pain meds that 2 yrs past expiration is about half loss. Most pain meds hold their potency better, but antibiotics do not. Antibiotics in pill form can go up to 2 years I believe, and that's about it. Anything in liquid suspension should be tossed.

Last edited:
I've no idea what he is! LOL I'm really getting good at discerning good/bad with the BBS colors, and greys and partidges are just not in my scope of knowledge right now. Sonoran might have a better idea of what he is! :)

White always to white. Don't breed white to anything else. So if you need a rooster, then you'll need a white rooster for your whites. For your Black and Blue-- you will want either a Blue or Splash to throw more blue and spash. Black X Black= black. I have a splash roo with blue and splash hens. But in that pairing I get no Black. You'll have to think about what color you want to throw. Definitely check into the link Sonoran posted for you! :)

Most likely it is upper respiratory for the symptoms you listed. Right now, you can start with VetRX, that in itself may help clear it up. It is not a drug. It is simply a great blend of essential oils that open up the airways and help them breathe and can help it clear out. If you need drugs and this is looking more serious, then I'd head to the vet for Baytril, which is my #1 go-to drug of choice. I use injections and inject .5cc directly into the breast meat near the legs-- stay away from the crop or the front of the bird. I know people use Tylan, but I've never used it. I always start with VetRX and go from there. I find the VetRX at my local Atwoods (farm store) for about $8 a bottle. It's a small bottle-- tiny. But you only need a drop. I rub it on their beak and put a bit in the water. It's safe for everyone drinking out of it.

OH--- and be sure to separate that bird. Don't keep her with the others. Just in case it turns out to be more serious than you think it is.

ETA-- wanted to add that you can use Duramycin for an antibiotic if you think she needs it, but it binds with calcium. So you'll want to get her on a feed that is very low to having nothing in the way of calcium for it to be very effective. My vet told me that it's a cr*p shoot if it will work if you don't switch out the feeds. You MUST switch feeds for it to be effective. Now having said that--- and I would NOT recommend this for you-- because I don't want you killing your bird. I was at my wits end with a bird of mine last year and I didnt have time to switch the feed, it happened over x-mas break and the farm stores were closed, so I used the Duramycin and almost doubled the dose to try to account for the calcium binding. That really could have back fired and killed my bird. It didn't, but I was lucky. So just an FYI there about that drug.
Hey, Hawkeye, I have been gone a while. Hope you had a great vacation! I see you have won an award!!! Congratulations! You deserve that and more and I'm sure everyone on here agrees!!!

I have caught the silkie bug. I currently have 3, 2 partridge and 1 blue. I have fallen so in love with these little darlings that I am hatching some eggs from Golden Egg Farm. I have a fondness for the white ones. I lost 2 whites recently to some kind of predator. I was thinking that I would raise whatever I am able to hatch and maybe keep 4 or 5, but now I am thinking that I will keep them all. If I wanted to start a breeding program (my daughter wants to show them), what is the best color for roosters if I want to raise white, black, and blue?
Also, does anyone know where I'd be able to find a breeding chart showing what color parents will produce certain colored chicks?
Where are you located? I have two beautiful white silkie cockerels that need a home!

Cinder the Showgirl (which up til Cinder I disliked SGs....BUT now am re-addicted to a chicken breed - UGH - LOL )

My fave dude in the world - Sherbert
I''m glad you haven't gotten tired of posting photos of Sherbert. He is getting soooo manly looking! Doesn't he know his fan club is waiting to see his off spring? I bet your hens are tortured souls!!

Hey, Hawkeye, I have been gone a while. Hope you had a great vacation! I see you have won an award!!! Congratulations! You deserve that and more and I'm sure everyone on here agrees!!!
Thanks Peep! I was wondering where you were too! The vacation was a lot of fun, but glad to be home now! Yeah, I logged in for the first time this week after a week break and saw the award! I was totally shocked! I know someone has to nominate me for that, so whoever did it-- THANK YOU!
big_smile.png
I had to go search out the nominations to be sure they didn't make a mistake. LOL!

How are your chicks growing out? The shipped egg/chicks are coming along nicely, I'll have to post a pic so you can see what they look like. I hope they develop bigger crests than mine so that next year I will be on my way to doing better at our shows when bred back into mine. This year was okay, we didn't do terrible, but I know what I need to work on. We have one more show coming up for 4-H--which is county, and then it's the big open poultry show (not 4-H) that we'll be looking forward to. It would also be super cool if our 4-H showing went to state before the big show in Fall, but I won't be surprised if we don't make it. Next year, I hope to be a better contender! I'm going to have several chicks to sell this Fall to get rid of any with minor faults. I only have one chick out of all I hatched that has extra toes, the others all have the correct number, but not all are perfect, either. So far, the summer start is really working out nicely and we're all having a good time. Busy, though. Much more so than I thought.

Hello, I have been incouraged to join this thread by folks on the AZchickens thread.
I have a question or two. How old is old to a silky rooster? My Tumbleweed [which is my avatar] is getting on to 4 years old. When would he be to old to be a good producer?
Also is the Partridge color dominate? I breed him with a my white Cotton and all I get is Partridge or black.
I want to settle into Whites and paints now but good old Tumbleweed has been a awesome cock.

Back
Top Bottom