Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Oh good. I'll keep this stuff around then. Hopefully I won't need it. [​IMG]
    I think we also have some sort of a feed out in the barn that's supposed to be medicated. Recommended for respiratory diseases and such. I'll have to go find the bag and see what this stuff is really for.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've not heard of a feed that can be used as an antibiotic unless you're just talking about a medicated chick starter? The medicated chick starters have amprolium in them to give chicks an immunity to coccidiosis. You feed it for several weeks to build up their immunity. I'd be interested in what kind of feed you have that has an antibiotic in it. My guess is that if that is the case, it would expire quickly. In which case, meds that expire lose their potency. I forget the percentage of loss of potency, but I used to know that. I know with pain meds that 2 yrs past expiration is about half loss. Most pain meds hold their potency better, but antibiotics do not. Antibiotics in pill form can go up to 2 years I believe, and that's about it. Anything in liquid suspension should be tossed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, Hawkeye, I have been gone a while. Hope you had a great vacation! I see you have won an award!!! Congratulations! You deserve that and more and I'm sure everyone on here agrees!!!

4. scamperwillow

scamperwillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    Where are you located? I have two beautiful white silkie cockerels that need a home!

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I saw that your boys need a good home! I am in New York.

6. Adoravachick

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
  7. Adoravachick

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Sent you a PM.

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I''m glad you haven't gotten tired of posting photos of Sherbert. He is getting soooo manly looking! Doesn't he know his fan club is waiting to see his off spring? I bet your hens are tortured souls!!

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Peep! I was wondering where you were too! The vacation was a lot of fun, but glad to be home now! Yeah, I logged in for the first time this week after a week break and saw the award! I was totally shocked! I know someone has to nominate me for that, so whoever did it-- THANK YOU! [​IMG] I had to go search out the nominations to be sure they didn't make a mistake. LOL!

How are your chicks growing out? The shipped egg/chicks are coming along nicely, I'll have to post a pic so you can see what they look like. I hope they develop bigger crests than mine so that next year I will be on my way to doing better at our shows when bred back into mine. This year was okay, we didn't do terrible, but I know what I need to work on. We have one more show coming up for 4-H--which is county, and then it's the big open poultry show (not 4-H) that we'll be looking forward to. It would also be super cool if our 4-H showing went to state before the big show in Fall, but I won't be surprised if we don't make it. Next year, I hope to be a better contender! I'm going to have several chicks to sell this Fall to get rid of any with minor faults. I only have one chick out of all I hatched that has extra toes, the others all have the correct number, but not all are perfect, either. So far, the summer start is really working out nicely and we're all having a good time. Busy, though. Much more so than I thought.

10. Fuzzybird

Fuzzybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I have been incouraged to join this thread by folks on the AZchickens thread.
    I have a question or two. How old is old to a silky rooster? My Tumbleweed [which is my avatar] is getting on to 4 years old. When would he be to old to be a good producer?
    Also is the Partridge color dominate? I breed him with a my white Cotton and all I get is Partridge or black.
    I want to settle into Whites and paints now but good old Tumbleweed has been a awesome cock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by