Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

It's very hard to judge by just a picture or two. I wouldn't sell your partridge just yet. It may have the best type of the four. I would say your paint is very likely a boy. I won't guess on the others. I wouldn't worry too much about size at this age. In my experience small ones usually catch up. I think your biggest problem is wings. They all appear to have loose wings or split wings, but they are young and may out grow that. In my limited experience they don't. Split wing is a DQ. You mentioned they had been in the mud so possibly their wings are muddy and heavy or they are molting to a new stage. As far as keeping them, it depends on your plans for the future. Your partridge color looks normal to me but could be dark blue. Hope you get some other feed back!!

2. peepblessed

Thanks for the info! Are you sure Jess is a pullet?

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

4. friedeggs

friedeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Finksburg
    Im sorry but all wings show issues. Wings in natural carriage should be tight and snappy held at the horizontal. Primaries folding under secondaries. And for splits one would need to fan out the wing to see all 21 feathers displayed.. Showing a distinct split in fan. Becareful not to over flex the wing. Can give off results.
    Wings on silkies seem to be the most neglected of the breed IMO. You should cull hard on wings.

5. friedeggs

friedeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Finksburg
    Ps. Im glad you have an interest in improving your flock. Good not to be barn blind:)

6. peepblessed

Yes, I have one a couple of weeks older than yours (Catdance too) I thought girl and Karen did too but it's comb started growing and also streamers. Yours has that male beak look from the side. I call it the look of eagles. :)

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

8. mystdogs

mystdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    Can you explain a bit more with the loose/split wings? Are you meaning the way the wings lay against the body or the two feather types?
    I noticed these guys have been slow to get the furry look of a silkie. The top knots were like small for a long time and then just started filling in lately.

9. mystdogs

Apr 20, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    I'll try and get some wing photos tomorrow and see how they look. Good to know this is such a major problem, I'd hate to breed anything that is an automatic DQ for showing.

10. mystdogs

Apr 20, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    Thank you, I'd rather have to start over than spend years dealing with major problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by