Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    I got some of them on ebay. I typed poultry waterer and they were in there somewhere. Not sure where but they are there

2. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Gilda,
    I just want to say that you are my inspiration. Others have inspired me to have beautiful silkies, but you inspired me to have perfect silkies.
    Yours are beautiful.
    I'm working hard on the wings but I have to ask....
    What do I do with all the culls???
    I'm getting overrun with silkies.
    Anne

3. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    My large fowl all have bucket waterers with nipples in the bottom that I hang up & they peck at the nipples for the water. I'm not sure the Silkies would be able to find them, or I would use them instead.

But their water will stay even cleaner with the pop bottle types I think.
    Thanks for the info.

4. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    My silkies found the nipples quicker than my layers. They drink much less so i use a v8 splash bottle with a nipple in the cap. I only add water weekly for each pair. So much easier and cleaner water too.

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    I should try it then, it would make my life a lot easier...and drier heads too!

6. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    I also use the nipple waterers and 2 liter bottles-
    My polish and silkies can find them fine, especially if it is always in the same place. they sometimes drip a little right after filling, but usually stop soon after hanging. No wet heads and no poop in the water! Great stuff!
    ETA: the thing that you have to make sure of is a tight fit in the cap or pvc, whichever method. If you use the correct drill bit (mine is 11/32). If you cant find the exact one, you can also use a little plumbing tape (silicone thread tape) to wrap the threads.

You may have to teach them HOW to use it, but generally, once 1 bird figures it out, the rest follow. My silkies were the first to figure it out...LOL

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  7. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    [​IMG]
    Just got new pics of my 8 week old partridge silkie. Not sure if I am going to keep Brindle (boy or girl?). Has very nice feet and straight body. What do ya'll think?

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Well, it's been a while since I posted a picture of my older girl. A whole 13 weeks old now. Is it still too soon to sex them at this age? I'm not seeing any type of comb coming in yet. Chucks, forgot to look for wattles. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blue splash, but this camera went with a real blue hue, not sure why. Anyway, I think she is pretty. :))

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have more Silkies in lock down due to hatch tomorrow, a couple have already pipped. Anyway, I want a partridge soo bad! This is a beauty. :) I have three partridge eggs in there..I hope they all hatch!

10. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    I know this is probably going to sound stupid and has probably been answered somewhere, but I just hatched out my first silkies. All four are from the same breeder. Three had the big topknot on their head and one doesn't. What is the difference?

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by