Silkie thread!

What are vulture hocks? I was reading that it was a trait that is undesirable trait. Does anyone have pics?
I sold this chick as a pet because I thought it was developing vulture hocks. A lack of feathering on the leg creates a large bunching of feathers on the hock. I now believe I was a bit premature to make that decision. Not the best photo to describe the problem or the best explanation but hopefully you get some idea.

I sold this chick as a pet because I thought it was developing vulture hocks. A lack of feathering on the leg creates a large bunching of feathers on the hock. I now believe I was a bit premature to make that decision. Not the best photo to describe the problem or the best explanation but hopefully you get some idea.
Oh, okay. I see now. This type of feathering is on my cochin and d'uccle, I didn't realize that is what it was. Thanks for the pic, very helpful.

What is the best way for me to safely ID tiny chicks of the same color?
Multi colored zip ties. I buy the really small ones. I will even double band -- like 2 yellows on a leg when I run out of colors. ;) Just make sure you put them on good and loose and check often to clip them off before they get too small. I just clip off and put new ones on until they are ready to be banded. The easiest way to get them on is to go ahead and put the end thru and make a large loop and then put the foot through and then pull it tighter. Even at that, I leave it so loose that the only thing keeping it on is the splayed out toes. That way there is plenty of room to grow in case I accidentally leave one on too long. Which I've never done, but it does worry me enough to be cautious. Just don't make it so loose that when they pick up their foot, it will slide off.

Ok, this has been addressed before. In Silkies, the feathering is soft, so the feathers aren't technically "vulture hocks". As a vulture hock is a group of hard feathers pointing downward, as in a D'uccle. At this age of bird, they all seem to have some sort of feathering like this, at least here, and it seems more in the roos, but it incorporates into their adult plumage. I believe Sonoran was the one that answered that question for me over a year or so ago? Maybe she can explain again?

I don't know how anyone who is hatching gets any sleep at hatch time.
It's not even 3am and I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I had to come down to check on the babies hatching.
Another silkie is out, that makes 2. 2 more are working on it, so hopefully later today.
I have 12 in lockdown but I don't think my hatch rate is going to be any higher than 30%.
They were shipped eggs so I am not expecting a lot.
I think if I have at least one silkie that is broody next spring, I will go pick up some Catdance eggs and try that. No more shipped eggs if I can help it.
Or if I am really lucky and have a pair that I can breed, I will hatch out my own.
fl.gif

Multi colored zip ties. I buy the really small ones. I will even double band -- like 2 yellows on a leg when I run out of colors. ;) Just make sure you put them on good and loose and check often to clip them off before they get too small. I just clip off and put new ones on until they are ready to be banded. The easiest way to get them on is to go ahead and put the end thru and make a large loop and then put the foot through and then pull it tighter. Even at that, I leave it so loose that the only thing keeping it on is the splayed out toes. That way there is plenty of room to grow in case I accidentally leave one on too long. Which I've never done, but it does worry me enough to be cautious. Just don't make it so loose that when they pick up their foot, it will slide off.

x2 and I got this idea from Jessy: I put a green zip on the ones I know can be sold.

Back
Top Bottom