Silkie thread!

Hey

I've only got 2 Silkies but planning on expanding my silkie family to begin breeding. I can't wait, silkies are my fav!!!!!

Recently purchased a incubator and will soon have that up and running..... I'm from Australia so a big shout out to all my silkie friends lol :)

can someone tell me what is the best % layer should be fed to silkies????

Quote:Originally Posted by poulettes

I do not feed layer to my silkies but this it is just a personal choice. I gave them starter with 22% protein, but make sure they have oyster shell available at all times. I also supplement with Alfalfa, flax seed, BOSS, etc... They are thriving. However, thanks to Mumsy, I am giving it a try to fermented feed tomorrow.
If you have the space, I would suggest to have them separate from your LF, but if you can't I wouldn't add your Leghorns. They are very feisty and nervous.

oh your right! I didn't even catch that! I was talking to someone else about using starter and thought it was the same person asking the percentage =P. But yeah your right, 20-22% protein starter/grower or multi-flock feed. Layer is bad for them because they are not good laying chickens and it will damage their kidneys, especially any roosters who may also be eating it.

Hey

I've only got 2 Silkies but planning on expanding my silkie family to begin breeding. I can't wait, silkies are my fav!!!!!

Recently purchased a incubator and will soon have that up and running..... I'm from Australia so a big shout out to all my silkie friends lol
smile.png
Welcome to BYC! And the Silkie thread.
frow.gif

Bought my first incubator! Have it running to check the temps. What should the temp be? Also how do you make humidity? It's a little giant still air incubator with an egg turner in it. I don't have a manual with it, I bought it used, so if anyone can give me a step by step on how to use it and the temp/humidity levels that would be awesome! I plan to set the eggs saturday so I am home if and when they hatch.
I use a still air LG bator, but I don't use an egg turner so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I hatch in paper egg cartons, but anyways... I keep the temp somewhere between 100-100.5°. When I incubate during less humid months I fill the trays and keep the humidity somewhere around 30%, during the sticky months I just run it dry. During lockdown I up the humidity to 50-65%. I use a little bowl with a sponge sticking out of the top, works pretty well since you can't fill outside of the water well bc of the vent holes. My hatch rates are pretty good during warmer months but not so great when its cold, but I think thats bc the temp in my house fluctuates alot (stupid baseboard heat). LGs are REALLY sensitive to temperature changes. If you go to the incubating and hatching section, there's a huge thread with LG tips and tricks. Its worth the read :)

Last edited:
Hey

Recently purchased a incubator and will soon have that up and running..... I'm from Australia so a big shout out to all my silkie friends lol
smile.png
shout right back at ya from omaeve in Virginia,USA I have 1 blue silkie breeding My polish-silkie-frizzle their eggs are in my new incubator. and 17 little chickes I just got.. just love SILKIES

I found my blue Silkie rooster, Mr. Wu, limp and pretty lifeless this morning when I went outside to let everyone out :(
He's not been eating the way he should and when I trimmed his crest back I thought I'd solved the problem, but I guess not. I've got him inside in my brooded with a heat lamp and I'm trying to syringe feed him but he won't eat. He was fine when he went to bed last night, so I'm not sure what's going on. He was eating his FF like a little piggy yesterday too. I'm so upset, he's such a beautiful guy. I really don't think he's going to make ut, so at this point I'm just trying to make him comfortable until he gives up or I feel like I have to put him down. So sad. I've got 2 of his chicks growing out in the brooder and honestly now I'm hoping they're both boys.
My SIL gave me a rooster today though, a buff. He's a nice looking fellow and super sweet, but just doesn't compare to my wonderful Mr. Wu. He's got alot of smut in his tail, but nice dark skin and comb. Anyway, here's a quick pic I snapped of him. The girls are being pretty darn rotten to him right now, but I guess they'll get over it.

I think I'll hatch a few chicks from him and my porcelain girls just to see what comes if it, and after my brooder chicks mature enough to confirm ones a boy I'll then send him to a friend of mine that needs a Silkie roo. I'm so bummed :/

Back
Top Bottom