Silkie thread!

Even with the water in it the humidity is at 35% =/ Hopefully I can get it to go up at day 18! But if the temps stabilize to around 100 to 101 I will put them in. I moved the bator to my livingroom because I realized where I had it (on top of my drier) the temps will go up whenever I do laundry. So now it's on my end table.
I have read people put the still air bators in closets to keep temps from fluctuating. And putting extra sponge in should raise the humidity more. I would try until you know for sure what works. I would hate to see you loose eggs

What do you guys use for feeders?
I cleaned my coop today and discovered that there was a TON of feed mixed in with the bedding. I swear, there was almost more food than bedding.
lol.png
Such a waste. This started when I switched them off the pellet to a crumble and mixed some other goodies in there. I think the birds are having a party in the feeder now, looking for those good pieces, and there's food everywhere.

We have these dog feeder looking things, which is totally asinine in my opinion.
Sort of like this. I don't know who came up with this idea but I'm changing it for my birds at least!
lol.png

I'll have to take a trip to the feed store this weekend and I'll check their feeders while I'm there but I thought I'd ask what you guys find to be a good idea for feeders and NOT wasting food.

Even with the water in it the humidity is at 35% =/ Hopefully I can get it to go up at day 18! But if the temps stabilize to around 100 to 101 I will put them in. I moved the bator to my livingroom because I realized where I had it (on top of my drier) the temps will go up whenever I do laundry. So now it's on my end table.

Try taking out the sponge and filling the wells all the way up and see where that puts your humidity. When you want to up the humidity at lockdown, add a low bowl or jar full of water with the sponge sticking out of the top. The sponge will wick the moisture out into the bator.
The first time I incubated, I was a hot mess. It gets MUCH easier :)

What do you guys use for feeders? I cleaned my coop today and discovered that there was a TON of feed mixed in with the bedding. I swear, there was almost more food than bedding. :lol: Such a waste. This started when I switched them off the pellet to a crumble and mixed some other goodies in there. I think the birds are having a party in the feeder now, looking for those good pieces, and there's food everywhere. We have these dog feeder looking things, which is totally asinine in my opinion. Sort of like this. I don't know who came up with this idea but I'm changing it for my birds at least! :lol: I'll have to take a trip to the feed store this weekend and I'll check their feeders while I'm there but I thought I'd ask what you guys find to be a good idea for feeders and NOT wasting food.
I had been using one of those 3lb hanging feeders and they were still billing feed out into the bedding. I switched to FF not too long ago, but I'm already noticing less waste. I don't think I can say enough good things about the FF! Its fantastic! I just plop it into a bowl and they eat every bit. No more picking for the little pieces of corn ;)

Last edited:
I have read people put the still air bators in closets to keep temps from fluctuating. And putting extra sponge in should raise the humidity more. I would try until you know for sure what works. I would hate to see you loose eggs
I only have 3 eggs so i'm not worried if I botch it on my first try. Practice makes perfect!
Try taking out the sponge and filling the wells all the way up and see where that puts your humidity. When you want to up the humidity at lockdown, add a low bowl or jar full of water with the sponge sticking out of the top. The sponge will wick the moisture out into the bator.
The first time I incubated, I was a hot mess. It gets MUCH easier
smile.png
The wells are half full, I put water in them last night. But I guess I won't worry about the humidity until later. I think I have the temps set right.

Putting it in a closet is a great idea. I don't have the closet space for that, so mine sits on my kitchen counter as far away from my stove as possible. It works very well there.

What do you guys use for feeders?
I cleaned my coop today and discovered that there was a TON of feed mixed in with the bedding. I swear, there was almost more food than bedding.
lol.png
Such a waste. This started when I switched them off the pellet to a crumble and mixed some other goodies in there. I think the birds are having a party in the feeder now, looking for those good pieces, and there's food everywhere.

We have these dog feeder looking things, which is totally asinine in my opinion.
Sort of like this. I don't know who came up with this idea but I'm changing it for my birds at least!
lol.png

I'll have to take a trip to the feed store this weekend and I'll check their feeders while I'm there but I thought I'd ask what you guys find to be a good idea for feeders and NOT wasting food.

Quote:
I do FF. Hardly any waste. If you don't want to FF, wetting down the feed with water to an oatmeal consitancy will help tons. I just plop it into two 6 cup dog food bowls. Most of it is eaten in ten minutes.

I finally got some decent pictures of my black pullet!!
wee.gif
Her favorite pose is showing me her butt... But today she was just hanging out...or maybe she was striking a pose?
lol.png

This one cracks me up, the little head tilt!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom