Silkie thread!

She is a showgirl and I assume a naked neck as she has no feathers on her neck. The shadow hen I referred to is grey and white and is larger than the other two although they are all the same age. I will get pictures and attached. It has been dreary and rainy here for two days, maybe tomorrow it will be sunny and I can take pictures of all three. I am very happy with them. Do you know if you are suppose to bath them or not. Their feet are dirty/
I do, some people only do for shows, but it helps keep their feet feathers and overall plumage nice and in good condition. If their feet get too caked with crud it can pull out their foot feathering which if you are going to show is not something you want.
You might want to try a little olive oil inside the vent , I read that along with the warm baths really helps. Hope she lays it soon.

I tried olive oil last time, this time I tried mineral oil. I took a syringe and squirted it inside, like an enema lol. So we will see what she decides to do. I put them back outside. She is acting completely normal? Even SPRINTED across the yard! She is eating and drinking walking around like nothing is wrong. Crazy hen... It felt like it was completely stuck this morning before I put the oil in, and after the oil I felt it loosen up and it was able to kind of move around. So maybe today. I will put some more oil in a few hours but it's cold so I will only soak her again tonight if need be so I can keep her indoors over night.

Just what I need... an eggbound hen AND an egg about to go into lockdown
barnie.gif
Talk about stress!

Last edited:
I do, some people only do for shows, but it helps keep their feet feathers and overall plumage nice and in good condition. If their feet get too caked with crud it can pull out their foot feathering which if you are going to show is not something you want. I tried olive oil last time, this time I tried mineral oil. I took a syringe and squirted it inside, like an enema lol. So we will see what she decides to do. I put them back outside. She is acting completely normal? Even SPRINTED across the yard! She is eating and drinking walking around like nothing is wrong. Crazy hen... It felt like it was completely stuck this morning before I put the oil in, and after the oil I felt it loosen up and it was able to kind of move around. So maybe today. I will put some more oil in a few hours but it's cold so I will only soak her again tonight if need be so I can keep her indoors over night. Just what I need... an eggbound hen AND an egg about to go into lockdown
barnie.gif
Talk about stress!
I think that's a good sign her running around and the egg moving a little, come on oil! Hoping she lays today!

So, we had a great day at the CT Poultry Breeders show! Only 5 silkies entered in the open show, and only 2 splashes (one of them being mine). We still had a good time and I'm happy with the BV my cockerel got. Next step will be the Little Rhody show in May!
wee.gif

He looked fabulous!
Sorry forgot to put the photo in
So very sorry. Wish I had some answer for you...
She is a showgirl and I assume a naked neck as she has no feathers on her neck. The shadow hen I referred to is grey and white and is larger than the other two although they are all the same age. I will get pictures and attached. It has been dreary and rainy here for two days, maybe tomorrow it will be sunny and I can take pictures of all three. I am very happy with them. Do you know if you are suppose to bath them or not. Their feet are dirty/
Chickens are commonly bathed. Dawn dish soap or dog & cat shampoo.
I do, some people only do for shows, but it helps keep their feet feathers and overall plumage nice and in good condition. If their feet get too caked with crud it can pull out their foot feathering which if you are going to show is not something you want.

I tried olive oil last time, this time I tried mineral oil. I took a syringe and squirted it inside, like an enema lol. So we will see what she decides to do. I put them back outside. She is acting completely normal? Even SPRINTED across the yard! She is eating and drinking walking around like nothing is wrong. Crazy hen... It felt like it was completely stuck this morning before I put the oil in, and after the oil I felt it loosen up and it was able to kind of move around. So maybe today. I will put some more oil in a few hours but it's cold so I will only soak her again tonight if need be so I can keep her indoors over night.

Just what I need... an eggbound hen AND an egg about to go into lockdown
barnie.gif
Talk about stress!

Me too =( I just hope it isn't wrapped in the ovaduct tissue like last time. She is laying down next to the coop with ice right now so maybe soon. I hope she doesn't prolapse again.
Sounds like progress!

He looked fabulous!
So very sorry. Wish I had some answer for you...
Chickens are commonly bathed. Dawn dish soap or dog & cat shampoo.

Sounds like progress!
I'm afraid I have to disagree with the use of Dawn on your chickens. It strips the oil completely off of a crusty pan. What might happen to your chickens' feathers if you were to use this product?

When I bathe mine, I use either the pet shampoo or baby shampoo. It doesn't strip/dry the feathers.

In the end though, it is your bird and up to you.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the use of Dawn on your chickens. It strips the oil completely off of a crusty pan. What might happen to your chickens' feathers if you were to use this product?

When I bathe mine, I use either the pet shampoo or baby shampoo. It doesn't strip/dry the feathers.

In the end though, it is your bird and up to you.

Baby shampoo is also very harsh. My hair stylist told me that it is harsher than adult shampoo because babies have more oily build up than adults.

I have been told in the past to use Ivory dish soap and rinse with vinegar for my Great Pyrenees, how do you think that would be for silkies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom