Silkie thread!

New baby!!!

I picked up a cockerel for my pullet today and even though he's looking ragged right now I really like him
big_smile.png
. I'm also having some chickies shipped from the east coast in a week or so, fingers crossed!

Last edited:
When it comes to chickens, anything is possible. My coronation sussex bred with my silkie and I have a chick with sussex markings and fluffy feet. They are about 5 weeks old .

I have a lavender roo that someone said might have coronation markings. I didn't know what that was at the time. _Pam

The photos made it look like he has cream in his color- but its more white.

18'6" x 19' yard for up to 6 Silkies, Is that going to be enough room with a 49" t x 36" w x 42" L house ?

the front can be removed in good weather. the back is where we will put outside nesting box, the whole house will be raised 2' and 1 window on the east side and 1 on the west side. o and of course painted. everything was recycled. All suggestions welcome and please if you see a problem let me know.

You are providing a nice space for 6 Silkies. My eyes are not the best to see details in your pics but you seem to have plenty of room. My greatest concern in your rural type location is predator proofing everything both from the ground and the air. You got plenty of space but spend the bucks on solid good fencing that can't be dug under and put up some overhead netting. Place a couple low to the ground open lean-to areas for the Silkies to dive under from flying predators. I have two lean-to's about 12 inches tall and 4 feet wide for the Silkies to hide. A couple rose bushes is what my chickens snoozed under until we put up the 2 shelters. If you get snow think about a snow-proof roofed area with a 2 or 3-sided shelter for those winter months the Silkies need shelter out in the open when they don't want to spend their whole day in the coop. I've seen people plant a tree in the center of their open pen areas and then net over the pen around the tree trunk. However if you have squirrel problems, or have raccoons or opossums that seems like not the best solution as those critters are brutal to chickens and can use the netting and tree to shimmy down to the pen. Just think secure, secure, secure. Nothing more heartbreaking than to discover your flock torn to shreds because of security issues. Also predators are no longer nocturnal as they once were. Encroachment on their environment has caused them to be bold daytime predators as well now. Just my 2 cents - Smiles :)

I have a lavender roo that someone said might have coronation markings. I didn't know what that was at the time. _Pam

The photos made it look like he has cream in his color- but its more white.

I've always loved the Coronation Sussex coloring but would much prefer having one in Silkie! GORGEOUS!!!

Back
Top Bottom