Silkie thread!

hmmm mine didnt leak, probably a good seal on the lid. Must be different designs out there. I have a white silkie pullet that insists on dunking her head in the water container after eating, what a mess....
lol.png

Quote:
When it comes to silkies, there are a lot of confused birds out there. Most males would rather talk about the fashion of the other silkies than get down to business. I've actually heard them talking one day, it went something like this.

Roo to the broodies laying in the nest box, "Giiiirrrlll, did you see her crest this morning! OMG, there is NNNNOOOO way I would step out of the coop wearing that! PLEASE!!!! What the HELLO! Lavender undercolor with that shade. And can we say, bare middle toe, in this weather! She should have stayed in the brooder, that's all I have to say!.....Oh huns you have got to get over here and try some of this new grit, it is out the door.....

I had to walk out after hearing this.....
duc.gif

Quote:
You want to have the three main toes fully feathered. Feathers on the other two are a nice bonus. Bare middle toe is a serious defect.

Correction, the middle toe should be fully feathered on the outside only.

These 5 chicks are about 6 weeks old. All splash. I hatched them back in April from Three Cedar Silkie eggs. Looks like 3 boys and 2 girls. Love them.

53011017.jpg
53011016.jpg
53011018.jpg

These 2 are a little over 5 weeks. Hatched them from Shagbark Silkie eggs. Pretty sure it's a pair. The male is a very very light splash. I think he's going to be a beauty once he's matured.
53011025.jpg
53011026.jpg
53011027.jpg

Quote:
Gavin...are you sure it's a hen? Could be, but it sure looks like streamers coming off the back....
wink.png

If she is a he than out Roo Henry is confused to LOL - he has done the deed - no eggs yet . Forgive a new chicken owner what are streamers?

Ok so here's what I 've got......

Clean inside toes.....
21675_silkies_016.jpg

21675_silkies_006.jpg

21675_silkies_018.jpg

Slight feathering on inside 3rd toe......
21675_silkies_014.jpg

Feathers popping out on every toe!
21675_silkies_011.jpg

For showing purposes, which is more desirable or which scenario is least is probably the better question?

Last edited:
Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
You want to have the three main toes fully feathered. Feathers on the other two are a nice bonus. Bare middle toe is a serious defect.

Correction, the middle toe should be fully feathered on the outside only.​

So I'm overzealous with my toe feathers!
roll.png

From the APA SOP:
LEGS AND TOES
...the outer and middle toe well feathered. Female same as male but no spur. (Bare middle toe is a serious defect in either sex.)
Also from SOP: Each bare middle toe is a 2 point cut.

The SHANKS need to be fully feathered on the outside or is a DQ.

Last edited:
Quote:
Correction, the middle toe should be fully feathered on the outside only.

So I'm overzealous with my toe feathers!
roll.png

From the APA SOP:
LEGS AND TOES
...the outer and middle toe well feathered. Female same as male but no spur. (Bare middle toe is a serious defect in either sex.)
Also from SOP: Each bare middle toe is a 2 point cut.

The SHANKS need to be fully feathered on the outside or is a DQ.

Ok so by that I'm understanding, more is better?

Back
Top Bottom