Silkie thread!

Quote: OK. I don't know anyone, but here's why I want to hatch a few eggs. My Brown sex link has just started laying in the past week and the egg yolks have been looking fertile. Which is weird because the only rooster I have is only 12 weeks old. I have to get rid of the roo because I live in town, but I'd like to have a daughter of his. I want to see if the egg will hatch or if I'm seeing something else. We buy egg from a local farm and the egg are blue so I'd like to hatch a egg from that because I want a EE. I think I'm going to have to try and hatch the eggs with a heat lamp. (if I actually decide if it's a good idea)

Yeah, but you'll have to come to California :p

JK, hope you find someone nearby! I often see people offering to hatch eggs for $1 each on craigslist here. maybe you can find something similar there.

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone had silkie hens for sale. If anyone does please tell me and I will be willing to pay $30 for a hen.

Lol, I just realized your an Aussie. I'm in Tassie and have never had an issue with the cold and silkies. I have several large fowl breeds and find that bullying is more of a personality trait than breed specific. I have a little white silkie cockerel called ' Conan ' , I've seen him jump on a ducks back and he will take on any one that gives him curry.
If you can get a pullet around 20 weeks old she'll more than likely go broody for summer.
I'm from Victoria
smile.png
My flock tend to be pretty good, obviously there is the initial stuff when sorting out the pecking order, but i've got varying sizes in there, and no one gets picked on regularly. My rooster tends to break up fights, he's an awesome boy. He never hurts the girls or picks on them at all!

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking for a 20ish week old pullet or two
big_smile.png

I'm from Victoria :)  My flock tend to be pretty good, obviously there is the initial stuff when sorting out the pecking order, but i've got varying sizes in there, and no one gets picked on regularly. My rooster tends to break up fights, he's an awesome boy. He never hurts the girls or picks on them at all!

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking for a 20ish week old pullet or two :D  

Have you introduced yourself to the ' Australia -six states and that funny little island ' thread yet?

I have two buff silkie hens,carly and karly(my little sister named them) one black silkie rooster who is just a bit smaller than my lf amaraucana rooster his name is ted, one buff silkie rooster definitly bantam his name is buckbeak, my ameraucana roosters name is blackbeard, i have a blue wyandotte hen named polly, a red laced white cornish hen, an easter egger who has blue earlobes and black skin she is descended from one of my hens i had when i was little, and one white silkie chick with a single comb. One of the buff silkie is sitting on one of her own eggs and the wyandottes egg the black roo is the one who had been with them. Once i get some new pens built i am getting a pair of show quality black cochins and a trio of sjhow quality silver penciled rock bantams.

Back
Top Bottom