Silkie thread!

Is it bad to try and get a Silkie to go broody? I have a 21 week old Silkie that I was hoping would start laying soon (i've heard it takes much longer for silkies) and then go broody. Would it be bad to try and get her to go broody before she starts laying? Is it even possible to get her to go broody before she starts laying? I would like her to hatch a few eggs.....not very many.

When it's time, IT's TIME, no need to rush Mother nature

I agree, the walnut comb , (as with rose combs ), makes them more 'cold hardy 'than star comb breeds. Heating coops can make them more susceptible to the cold , and weaken their immune system. So long as they have a covered area to keep out of the rain and a draft free , well ventilated coop they are happy.
I disagree.

When your weather is below Zero like 17 below, this is not going to make them more hardy. This past winter I had a Call Duck who got Frost bite ON his Love TOOL. Yeh go figure. with freezing cold weather, confinement I don't care if you cover it with a tarp or blankets etc. Once it hits it hits. so Heating lamps are definitely an option for me. I wouldn't go an entire winter without them.

We get warnings all the time, STAY INSIDE.

Silkies can start laying as early as 5-1/2 months to as late as 13 months and usually don't do a good job of brooding their first time at it. So I would say no, don't force nature. My Silkies are unpredicatable about brooding or moulting times since my Silkies sit on a nest while either broody or moulting. Wait for a hen to brood naturally. She will lay for several weeks before she goes broody anyway. They lay up a clutch of eggs before going broody. There can be up to 3 unattended eggs in one nest and if a Silkie is not broody even the enticement of loose eggs in a nest isn't enough to get her broody if she's not ready to brood.

I agree, don't force them, because once they go, OMG, they are in it for a long term. And yes first timers usually don't have it down but after that, OMG, I had one that stays on eggs for 2 1/2 months so I hatched babies out for her. she wasn't the best sitter but she surely tried.

I disagree.

When your weather is below Zero like 17 below, this is not going to make them more hardy.  This past winter I had a Call Duck who got Frost bite ON his Love TOOL.  Yeh go figure.  with freezing cold weather, confinement I don't care if you cover it with a tarp or blankets etc.  Once it hits it hits.  so Heating lamps are definitely an option for me.  I wouldn't go an entire winter without them.

We get warnings all the time, STAY INSIDE. 

You do what you feel necessary for your own flock. In the majority of cases poor ventilation in the coop ( too much humidity ) is the culprit. As I said , ensure good ventilation and cover in the coldest months .

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

Hey guys...

My hen Lydia is sitting on 2 eggs... for some reason she only wanted 2 babies apparently lol. I went to check progress and I heard 1 egg peeping like crazy

I was surprised as its only day 19...

Hi ya'll! Not new, just new account as we couldn't access other...We used to be KYSILKIES...

We've expanded so we're now kyexotics as we've added Lakenvelder, Polish, Sultans and Guineas to our Silkie flock! We also have Crested Pekin, Jumbo Pekin, Khaki Campbells and black and fawn runner ducks...

This is how all of our white silkie hens look! We worked hard to get this consistent look! Working on getting Buffs the same...

Back
Top Bottom