Silkie thread!

I have a question that I hope someone here can help me answer. I am getting some partridge nn hens and only have a white roo from paint lines and a buff roo from pure buff lines. I was going to put them with the buff roo after they spend 30 days in lock up. LOL. I want to try to produce buff nn chicks and I was just wondering if this would work or am I wasting my time trying? The hens are on the lighter side of partridge and my roo has very like smut but does have some. I couldn't find nn's in my area in the color I was wanting so I just thought that i woud try to breed my own using the buff roo. Does anyone think this will work or have any other ideas for me to try?

I have a questions hoping someone might know or have experience with.  I have two silkie hens that share a coop and pen ( they free range with the large fowl when I am at home to supervise).  They seem close to each other.  One has went broody, so I bought some fertile silkie eggs and gave them to her.  My questions is when they hatch, do you think the other silkie will be ok with the babies, like maybe be a co-mommie.?

Actually all chickens will wait until they are ready to go out and explore and make a introduction to the other chickens in the flock so I don't know that they would do anything to them I have to ever let a broody hatch eggs before except turkeys but she pecked them and I had to take them

Quote: Thank you all for messaging, well i think He/She was just trying to size up to them
D.gif
He/She has not done it for 4 days now, and i will soon be moving them into the bigger horse watering tub that the tractor supply gave us so they will have pently of room and i now i'm not for sure if i am right about the GENDER AND NON-BEARDED AND BEARDED
idunno.gif
today i woke up and went out there to feed them and my white non-bearded now looks like it is a female as its poof is going around the face and going down the beak and it looks like it is getting a bearded. XD I am puzzled now on this batch. All my other batches was easy to tell now i cant tell
he.gif
i will just have to see. and i will be getting 40 silkie chicks this month or next month from cackle hatchery 10 blue 10 buff 10 splash and 10 white so i will have a total of 44 silkies hopeing the 40 are bearded i kinda dont like non-bearded.
celebrate.gif

Have a bunch of eggs due to hatch tomorrow. Get rdy for some hot chick pix ;)

That's the hen who most of the eggs are layer from

Last edited:
I have a questions hoping someone might know or have experience with.  I have two silkie hens that share a coop and pen ( they free range with the large fowl when I am at home to supervise).  They seem close to each other.  One has went broody, so I bought some fertile silkie eggs and gave them to her.  My questions is when they hatch, do you think the other silkie will be ok with the babies, like maybe be a co-mommie.?

All of my silkies share mothering duties when they hatch chicks. Some even sit on the eggs together. Most silkies love taking care of babies. Of course there's always exceptions, so I'd just keep an eye on the other hen. You can always put her in a different coop if she's causing the chicks or the mother hen distress.

Back
Top Bottom