Silkie thread!

Anyone know what color these guys will be? They are 3 weeks old (yesterday). I believe the mom was buff & supposedly dad was white? 4 chicks

Your babies are partridge.

anyone know if you can tame older silkies...I have 3 that are almost a year old and they are very weary of me (I didnt raise them). I can get them to come close with scratch but I dont want to ruin that trust by trying to pet one..any advice would be wonderful!

anyone know if you can tame older silkies...I have 3 that are almost a year old and they are very weary of me (I didnt raise them). I can get them to come close with scratch but I dont want to ruin that trust by trying to pet one..any advice would be wonderful!

I catch them then carry them around ot sit and pet them, no matter how they protest. They get used to it and figure out you're not going to hurt them. Eventually they will eat treats while I'm holding them, that's how I know they are comfortable.

Even my white rooster who is very friendly and goes perfectly still when I catch him doesn't really care to be picked up. He just deals with it as he knows I give him special treats or rub his earlobes (which he loves).

I've only had two chickens that loved to be held. It has to be their choice or they would vocally protest. If I'm sitting down outside Angel will sometimes fly up on me and snuggle in under my chin.

I had a Partridge that was not handled her first 6 months growing up before we brought her home. We never tried to pet or hold her since she is shy. However, we had to get clever offering her treats while someone else picked her up if we needed to shampoo her, or take her to the vet, or do health inspections on her. 6 years later she knows now that getting picked up means a treat. She is still shy but doesn't run from us now when we try to pick her up (using the judge's hold only) -- we don't pick up any hens by their reproductive sides. She actually trembles w/ excitement when we hold her now because she is anxious to get her treat.

Try sitting on the ground , (makes you less intimidating), with some cooked rice or pasta with sardines or mackerel mixed through. When they come close touch or stroke the chest area instead overhead. They have a natural ' flight ' reaction to anything grasping from above , birds of prey and all that. :)

Oh yes. They prefer chest stroking.

Finely shredded chedder cheese is my tried and true chicken crack. I never give them much and very rarely, but I can get them to do almost anything for it. They fight over it and even the reluctant ones will take it from my hand. The friendly ones try and take the hand too in their frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom