Silkie thread!

22414665_1742865175744095_41267174_n.jpg

This is blue he has been recovering a month from saving my easter egger from a bold eagle he couldn't even stand after just laid on his side! I gave him antibiotic shots and vitamins and electrolytes! I thought he was almost dead then he met this baby and got his fight back and yesterday walk by his self all the way across the yard! I have been helping him stand to eat and drink and he is my favorite so I
was very determined!! I love him he is the only rooster I have be able to keep!

Another thing to keep an eye out is making sure the silkies don't hit their heads on anything. Polish chickens also have the openings in their skulls. I had a polish rooster who was protecting the flock against the lawn mower (All hens safely inside the coop, Rooster was in the run). The rooster was flying all over the place and hit his head and instantly fell over. I hoped it was just a concussion, and I tried to nurse him back to health but after a week and a half of no improvement I put him to rest. He wasn't eating/drinking on his own. He would 'move' on his own, but this consisted of flapping his wings once or twice and then falling over. He never was able to stand on his own. It was really sad.

Question about pellets/crumbles. what percentage of protein do you feed after they are off grower. I have heard 20% but I can not find that. Also I want to play pullet or roo game too LOL. This little beauty is 22 weeks old but has me stumped.

Question about pellets/crumbles. what percentage of protein do you feed after they are off grower. I have heard 20% but I can not find that. Also I want to play pullet or roo game too LOL. This little beauty is 22 weeks old but has me stumped.

Purina's Flockraiser is 20% and pretty much everyone carries it. Payback's All Purpose Poultry is 19% and the silkies like the pellet size because they are smaller. Nutrena's All Flock is 18%. If you want a layer ration, Nutrena Country Feeds' Egg Producer is 20%.

I feed Flockraiser with with some 30% Gamebird mixed in during molt. Crumbles because that's what they prefer and the silkies don't waste it like my large fowl. Oystershell and grit are always offered along side.

My large fowl get the Egg Producer pellets, because my EEs and ameraucana rip each others feathers out and eat them if the protein falls to 18%.

My favorite feed is flock raiser(I think its 20%). It is usually more expensive so I get it every once in a while when it is on sale or there is a discounted ripped bad and just add it to my regular feed. You can also add extra protein and stretch you feed more by adding in bird seed.

Back
Top Bottom