Silkie thread!

I think our humid very hot SoCA climate has a lot to do w/ our chickens not eating the corn found in most feeds. I get Scratch & Peck organic layer and all the ingredients are separate and not pressed together and has no corn or soy. That way the canned nonGMO wet corn is more special when we offer it as a treat -- not to mention the hens volley for space to see who gets to sit on our lap at treat time. The Silkies can't jump for space on our lap so they tug at our socks or pant leg to get attention -- chickens use the tapping or pecking at our legs to get attention as most Silkie owners can relate!

Purina's Flockraiser is 20% and pretty much everyone carries it. Payback's All Purpose Poultry is 19% and the silkies like the pellet size because they are smaller. Nutrena's All Flock is 18%. If you want a layer ration, Nutrena Country Feeds' Egg Producer is 20%.

I feed Flockraiser with with some 30% Gamebird mixed in during molt. Crumbles because that's what they prefer and the silkies don't waste it like my large fowl. Oystershell and grit are always offered along side.

My large fowl get the Egg Producer pellets, because my EEs and ameraucana rip each others feathers out and eat them if the protein falls to 18%.
Thank You, I gave the list to my husband but found out where we get our feed only has a southern states distributor. It's our local small town hardware store and owned by a friend so my husband wants to get it there, we also get 15% off and my husband does odd jobs for him and has puts money in a store account it pays for our dog,cat, and chicken supplies. I did go to the SS website they have a meat bird feed and a flock balancer both are 20% protein and 3.5% fat. Will either of these work?

Meat bird feed is meant to fatten up Cornish Cross meat birds fast because they are butchered by 2 to 3 months old and need to fatten quickly where you might not want to fatten normal breeds that fast. I just add Turkey grow crumbles to regular 18% protein organic layer feed to give the layer a little extra protein OOMPH! Protein matters are so individual depending on the breeds of chickens and whether they are laying, brooding, molting, recuperating from illness/injury, etc etc.

Looks like hen to me

Yeah I'd say that's a girl

pretty pullet[/
I think she is beautiful too. I have to give credit to FishMtFarm she is one of her chick I got from her spring. All her birds are beautiful.

Yay it's a girl. I wondered because she is always with the roo that is in my profile pic, where all my other pullets stay away from him because he tries to breed and they aren't ready. This makes 4 pullets with 3 more grow out left. Fingers crossed haven't had any new crowing in a month.

Thank You, I gave the list to my husband but found out where we get our feed only has a southern states distributor. It's our local small town hardware store and owned by a friend so my husband wants to get it there, we also get 15% off and my husband does odd jobs for him and has puts money in a store account it pays for our dog,cat, and chicken supplies. I did go to the SS website they have a meat bird feed and a flock balancer both are 20% protein and 3.5% fat. Will either of these work?

I looked up the Flock Balancer. It's for mixed age flock. I'd feed that with oystershell on the side.

Meat bird feed is meant to fatten up Cornish Cross meat birds fast because they are butchered by 2 to 3 months old and need to fatten quickly where you might not want to fatten normal breeds that fast. I just add Turkey grow crumbles to regular 18% protein organic layer feed to give the layer a little extra protein OOMPH! Protein matters are so individual depending on the breeds of chickens and whether they are laying, brooding, molting, recuperating from illness/injury, etc etc.
Ok I'll cross that one off. I currently am using a 16% or 18% crumble and they get a treat in the evening I rotate between sprouted BOSS,wheat berries, and mung beans, scrambled eggs, or kefir mixed with crumble.

He cannot believe that I actually put him back in with some silkies hens. He says he doesn't like the large fowl girls. He's been sleeping alone in a ground level nesting box for over 10 months pouting.

20171011_183924.jpg

More during winter or cooler weather we feed nonGMO canned corn as a hand-treat to our little flock of 5 zoned hens/no roos. As for bird seed, we do our best to find the type with little or no hard corn bits only because our hens don't eat the hard corn and I don't feel like paying for feed that doesn't get eaten. I've had several different breeds of chickens in the flock and only the Mourning Doves will venture to eat the dry corn (only because our chickens leave it behind).
I get the economy mix that has a large percent of millet, easier for silkies to gobble up.

SS feed is very dusty

SS feed is very dusty
Yes I agree. I did try feather fixer once and that was just as bad quarter of the bag was dust. I use the dusty particles left over and add kefir, apple sauce, or water to it and serve it like a treat. They gobble it right up.
Anyone have any luck with silkies and pellets instead of crumble. Mine did eat the feather fixer pellets but I have heard they are smaller.

Back
Top Bottom