Silkie thread!

Hi, I haven’t been able to hatch Silkies this year as I got serama rooster in January and he is a sneaky little bugger, I’ve had a hard time keeping him out of the Silkie pen. I’d like to find him a new home so I don’t have to permanently divide my coop. Since I can’t hatch from my Silkies I decided to try Silkies from cackle Hatchery, I have seen some really nice Silkies from there on the Silkie FB pages. So I ordered 15 splash to grow out and see how it goes. They are suppose to ship Wednesday.

Hi everyone! How are everyone’s silkies doing? :jumpy
I now have 3 silkie pullets and 1 silkie cockerel. Plus 5 fertile eggs in the incubator! :yesss:
My silkies and sizzles are doing great!!!!! I have babies, babies, and just for fun......more babies!!!!! Congrats on your silkies and good luck with your incubation!!! Pics PLEASE, show off your new babies!!!!!!

My silkies and sizzles are doing great!!!!! I have babies, babies, and just for fun......more babies!!!!! Congrats on your silkies and good luck with your incubation!!! Pics PLEASE, show off your new babies!!!!!!
Aww I’m so happy all of your babies are doing well :love Pictures soon (I have to take some good ones today)

I have 2 partridge silkie pullets, 1 white silkie pullet (all pullets are laying), and 1 blue silkie cockerel
E150F521-710A-414C-B42B-8835CB624AB0.jpeg
D1293123-4D84-4703-B920-692794FC15D6.jpeg
DBAAA5F0-76BD-407B-BD2C-66C06F325984.jpeg
6DCD3285-0FA3-4D3A-9F3D-67E8FC256397.jpeg
E5164FB5-7803-41DF-A558-C0A6424E3764.jpeg

These two are really happy chickens. Though its raining/snowing here so they are back inside. I had to find a bigger bin for them to be in since the brooder I use is way to small for them now.We still have a fairly cooper colored head on Floof but so far no comb growth to speak of... so I keep hoping Floof will be a suprirse girl (since I'm expecting boy)

Also I have some super fun eggs in the incubator and under my adult hen... I don't know what they are. The lady I got them from doesn't either. The roosters were all silkie mixes but the hens were silkie and old english and they don't even know what some of them were. I'm taking photos of Egg 6 here for the 1st graders at my daughters school. They don't do anything like this so the teacher thought this would be fun.
IMG_9617.JPG
IMG_9785.JPG

Well, I don’t like salt, so I’ll take it as your best info. I’m hoping for Splash, but white works too

Did you find out what color those babies are, I'm guessing they have enough feathers by now to tell! :)

I have 2 partridge silkie pullets, 1 white silkie pullet (all pullets are laying), and 1 blue silkie cockerel
View attachment 1756780 View attachment 1756781 View attachment 1756782 View attachment 1756783 View attachment 1756784

Aww what cuties! I especially like that blue cockerel (I'm partial to the bearded silkies). :lol:

Hi, I haven’t been able to hatch Silkies this year as I got serama rooster in January and he is a sneaky little bugger, I’ve had a hard time keeping him out of the Silkie pen. I’d like to find him a new home so I don’t have to permanently divide my coop. Since I can’t hatch from my Silkies I decided to try Silkies from cackle Hatchery, I have seen some really nice Silkies from there on the Silkie FB pages. So I ordered 15 splash to grow out and see how it goes. They are suppose to ship Wednesday.

I got an order of 15 splash silkies from cackle back in 2016. I think they were really pretty for hatchery silkies, if I was going to order from a hatchery again I'd definitely go with cackle hatchery for silkies. They were all bearded, a few had vaults and I think most had 5 toes on each foot and decent foot feathering, it looked like most had the correct combs but one or two did have single combs. A couple did come with really curled toes that we had to straighten with band aid boots. If I'm remembering right they sent 16 and they all made it to us alive. I'd watch for coccidia, we started treating all the chicks for coccidia two days after they arrived when we first noticed one was acting lethargic and had blood in its stools (sadly that one passed around 6 hours after seeing symptoms), I don't know for sure it was coccidia though, the rest never came down with symptoms and I never had trouble with coccidia before or after.

We didn't have a lot of room so we only kept a few. Here are some pictures of 3 pullets we had at around 5 months I think (we had to move shortly after so re-homed these guys).

Diva1.JPG
Hermes2.JPG
Nelly2.JPG

I love the Splash and the Partridge. They are gorgeous. I have about 20 silkies and 0 Splash or Partridge. I take that back, I have a few Buff Partridges, (more buff than partridge), and a Red Partridge Roo. But the dark Partridge is beautiful. Beautiful birds!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom