Silkie thread!

I see the word Sizzles used on this site a lot. I believe they decided to call them smooth and Frizzled Satins instead. I know when i was first trying to wrap my head around it all it was very confusing to me. I have all 4 feather types.
Silkies and Frizzled Silkies
Satins (smooth) and Frizzled Satins
I don’t know if this will help anyone, but that explanation would have helped me lol. I added a pic of a Smooth Satin, Frizzled Satin and Silkie. (I don’t have a good pic of my only Frizzled Silkie.)
(All of these babies came from a sweet Vista Silkies in Missouri)
ECD60B05-0E73-446D-82F2-C181B3D26EBB.jpeg
02EEB098-54D7-45CC-85DA-97C48E793F94.jpeg
B0350CB2-BF86-4508-AD65-0AC9BD2B21A4.jpeg

Here is a good picture with the different feather types.
EF2838D8-108B-4FE0-ABBF-E7E574B58BA5.jpeg

I have a little frizzle silkie it’s harder to see the frizzle, their primary feathers are the best way to see on young chicks, frizzled slightly turn up. And next to its hatch mates it looks like someone teased the hair.
1711623B-3D8D-4C3A-9008-55648D13641A.jpeg

I see the word Sizzles used on this site a lot. I believe they decided to call them smooth and Frizzled Satins instead. I know when i was first trying to wrap my head around it all it was very confusing to me. I have all 4 feather types.
Silkies and Frizzled Silkies
Satins (smooth) and Frizzled Satins
I don’t know if this will help anyone, but that explanation would have helped me lol. I added a pic of a Smooth Satin, Frizzled Satin and Silkie. (I don’t have a good pic of my only Frizzled Silkie.)
(All of these babies came from a sweet Vista Silkies in Missouri)View attachment 1829592View attachment 1829593View attachment 1829594
I love your frizzled satin beautiful.

Here is a good picture with the different feather types.
View attachment 1829642
I have a little frizzle silkie it’s harder to see the frizzle, their primary feathers are the best way to see on young chicks, frizzled slightly turn up. And next to its hatch mates it looks like someone teased the hair.
View attachment 1829644
Your frizzled Silkie looks just like mine. The frizzled look really doesn’t show up well in the pics on the Silkies.

There are a lot of posts in this thread. I tried searching, but it was taking too long to sort through the search results - LOL!

I have a little Silkie (almost 3 weeks) who I picked up at a feed store. I *thought* it was white, but it started growing a few black feathers here and there. Does that mean it could be a splash Silkie?

Not a good pic to show its color. It's the little one on the left. It's all white (looks gray in the pic, though) with just a spot on its shoulder and one on its chest (so far). They're sleeping now, but I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.
20190629_211139.jpg

Last edited:
There are a lot of posts in this thread. I tried searching, but it was taking too long to sort through the search results - LOL!

I have a little Silkie (almost 3 weeks) who I picked up at a feed store. I *thought* it was white, but it started growing a few black feathers here and there. Does that mean it could be a splash Silkie?

Not a good pic to show its color. It's the little one on the left. It's all white (looks gray in the pic, though) with just a spot on its shoulder and one on its chest (so far). They're sleeping now, but I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.
View attachment 1830044
It does appear to be a splash. They usually start out looking white with a blueish gray tint to the fluff, then as feather come in the get the darker blue/black splashes.

It does appear to be a splash. They usually start out looking white with a blueish gray tint to the fluff, then as feather come in the get the darker blue/black splashes.
Thanks! That's awesome news! It's obviously hatchery stock, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but it'll be nice to see a splash running around the yard.

I think it's a he, too.
:love

we made it through hot spell #1 for the year! I'm up in the midwest so dealing with -30 to 100 degrees make chicken owning interesting year round. But does anyone have any good ideas for treats for super picky silkies? So far these three are totally uninterested in ice blocks with veggies in them. Ice blocks with berries in them. Trays with ice and berries on top. I even put frozen 2L bottles around in the run/coop and my idiot Floof STILL laid out in the hot sun panting... heck I had a tarp over most of it and there he was... the doorknob.

Also yes that huge fluffy butt on the right is The little red Floof. Every time I think I see streamers the same feathers start growing in on the front. What is the latest a rooster will get streamers? (hatch day on the partridge pair is March 10th)

65724378_10113942190754900_1368560452350509056_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom