Silkie thread!

Quote:
How old is she? Is she laying yet or coming to point of lay? Could she be eggbound??

She could be about to lay, how would I fix it?

Do a search on BYC for egg bound and you will get clear instructions on how to tell if she is egg bound. It really helped me a week ago. Unfortunately I was too late to save mine. I sure hope your little girl makes it.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Handle them very gently, move slowly, no loud noises or sudden movements and feed treats from your hand. Chicks are naturally jumpy, that's nature helping them survive in the wild. After consistent handling and treating they come around very well.

I would like to know who you guys go to to get some Sq stock splash silkie hatching Eggs? The closer the better but does not have to be thats just a plus also if they are a BYCer please post their name!

Thanks for the Help

Happy-Hens

Last edited:
Quote:
Handle them very gently, move slowly, no loud noises or sudden movements and feed treats from your hand. Chicks are naturally jumpy, that's nature helping them survive in the wild. After consistent handling and treating they come around very well.

That's pretty exactly what I'm doing and I'm starting to see a little progress with some of them. They are sooo fun! Thanks a lot!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Did you check out the other threads about being eggbound? I had a Marans pullet that had not yet layed. One day, she was in the coop when everyone else was outside. She just "looked" bad, like a kid with a tummy ache. Thought maybe it was an impacted crop, but no. She would npt eat or drink, so I had to make sure she got some vitamin/electro water with a syringe. Took her inside to the "hospitsl cage", and kept her quiet and warm. I knew nothing at that point in time about eggbound, but she did seem swollen to me in the vent area. I notice her poop was very loose and not normal looking. The next morning she was up and frantically screaming to go outside. I took that as a sign she was feeling better, and took her out. Within 10 minutes, she laid her first egg, and it was HUGE! Poor girl. She never had the problem again, and is still laying well. Check out the threads in the injuries/emergency section. Placing her in a warm tub of water will help.

Quote:
Maybe they are practicing??
lol.png
I have one goofy Marans hen that does the egg song BEFORE she lays! She also makes all the other hens and roos watch her too!! When she lays the egg, she is out of the nest box without so much as a peep, then everyone else goes about their business as well. Goofy birds!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom