Silkie thread!

Quote:
Did you check out the other threads about being eggbound? I had a Marans pullet that had not yet layed. One day, she was in the coop when everyone else was outside. She just "looked" bad, like a kid with a tummy ache. Thought maybe it was an impacted crop, but no. She would npt eat or drink, so I had to make sure she got some vitamin/electro water with a syringe. Took her inside to the "hospitsl cage", and kept her quiet and warm. I knew nothing at that point in time about eggbound, but she did seem swollen to me in the vent area. I notice her poop was very loose and not normal looking. The next morning she was up and frantically screaming to go outside. I took that as a sign she was feeling better, and took her out. Within 10 minutes, she laid her first egg, and it was HUGE! Poor girl. She never had the problem again, and is still laying well. Check out the threads in the injuries/emergency section. Placing her in a warm tub of water will help.

I've had some hard experience with "egg bound" so have been watching them closely. No sign of a problem yet
fl.gif

What color are Silkie eggs? I thought they were an off white or chalky color and mine have laid three light brown eggs? Sorry for such a silly question, I did do a search, but only chick color came up.
smile.png

Quote:
Mine are different shades. Cream to med. tan.
smile.png

Thanks.
big_smile.png
I was like, well they look like Silkies, but are they crossed with something back a couple generations?...
lau.gif
I wanted to post pictures of my Silkies but my dumb camera is out of battery...
hmm.png

Quote:
Mine are different shades. Cream to med. tan.
smile.png

Thanks.
big_smile.png
I was like, well they look like Silkies, but are they crossed with something back a couple generations?...
lau.gif
I wanted to post pictures of my Silkies but my dumb camera is out of battery...
hmm.png

Okay! Waiting for pictures!
caf.gif

Hello silkie lovers and experts, I posted a thread a while back asking if my silkie is a roo. It was confirmed that he is indeed a roo, and a cute one at that.

But a few also mentioned he wasn't pure silkie.. but didn't explain what he was mixed with or how they could tell.

I'm hoping that if maybe I post some pictures here, one of you might be able to help me? I paid for a silkie, and I'm kind of upset that he might not actually be a full silkie.

he's got the black skin, and the 5 toes, just would like to know what he's missing that makes him a silkie mutt. If any of you are interested in seeing pictures please let me know. I'd really like to figure this out. Since he's a roo I was planning on getting him some silkie ladies in the spring, but I'm not going to if he's not full silkie.

Quote:
Post a picture So maybe someone can help you determine what you have purchased.Most of the breeding companies will lie to you just to get rid of what they got and they you really didn't know what you was getting but a silkie.and you had thought it was a pure bred.To me the only way to get the best is to pay some extra money for the real thing.

Last edited:
Hi, a quick question. I have 6 baby chicks that are now almost 2 weeks old (all 6 are different standard breeds). I was at our local 4H fair today w/the kiddos and saw that the petting zoo there had silkie chicks for sale. Spontaneously, I bought one (looked roughly the same size as my six at home, but I'm thinking he/she is about 4 weeks old, not 2). Now I'm worried that my lone silkie chick will be ostracized by the rest of the gang, who have bonded now for almost 2 weeks. Will my silkie eventually fit in?? Also, I know silkies are bantams...will he/she do okay w/the standard breeds? I've read that many people have silkies mixed in w/their standard-sized chickens, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Is there any out there??

Well I got him at a chicken swap.. so that means the people lied right to my face if he's not a full silkie, which is even more annoying then if I had got him from a hatchery.

Here are some pictures, he's a cute little guy and I'll be keeping him regardless, just don't want to pay for silkie girls and end up not getting silkie babies from them..

103431_2011-08-24_16-15-36_965.jpg

103431_2011-08-24_16-08-10_21.jpg

103431_2011-08-24_16-08-03_146.jpg

103431_2011-08-24_16-07-50_609.jpg

103431_2011-08-21_15-26-00_366.jpg

Back
Top Bottom