Silkie thread!

I have used homeopathics on chickens with success-often Arnica low potency will make the animal feel good enough to eat & drink if pain is a problem. , & then they are on the road to recovery. Definately need molasses or another sugar source for energy. Hyland's brand Bioplasma does wonders also-similar to a potent electrolyte in a small pill. Just remember to not touch any homeopathic.

So I lost Teriyaki last week to blocked digestive tract. Now I have Parmesano going down hill real fast. She was active this morning, by tonight she is hardly able to stand and in pain. Crop was rock hard, got EVOO and Molasses down and now crop is empty. I am hope she is strong enough to make it through the night, but it does not look good. I don't want weak bird but it is still hard to watch them when in pain.
Oh no! Real sorry to hear this. Hope the morning brings good news.

Quote:
10-12 weeks. She is still alive this morning, but was laying face down and wont move. She did poop while I had her in my hand, so at least I know things are moving inside. I think there may be other things at play here. She is one that has always been less active than the rest. Is there anything linked to too much in-breeding(not adding new blood every few years)? If she doesn't make it(I will be shocked if she is alive when I get up this afternoon) then I will perform a necropsy to see her insides to determine if this was truly out of my control. At least with Teriyaki, I knew it was my fault with the meat piece too big, but Parmesano has me flubbered.

I guess it's too late. I applied the frontline :(
I also changed the entire bedding in the (covered) run because it was hay and there are probably tons of bugs in there. I switched to pine shavings.
I will give her another bath hopefully tomorrow if not Saturday morning.
Yes I did try Vetrx but did not get better. I haven't tried vetericyn but Nustock seems to be similar (did not work out)
Now I am just crossing my fingers for her....and me!
t this may have been done already, but did you put a bunch of DE down with the pine as well? Its a really good bug killer. I make sure to dust as much as i can in the coop with it. I also do the ramp, and underneath it along with a little in their food, on the ground around the food.....
I even use it in my veggie garden!

So I lost Teriyaki last week to blocked digestive tract. Now I have Parmesano going down hill real fast. She was active this morning, by tonight she is hardly able to stand and in pain. Crop was rock hard, got EVOO and Molasses down and now crop is empty. I am hope she is strong enough to make it through the night, but it does not look good. I don't want weak bird but it is still hard to watch them when in pain.
So so sorry! Hopefully she gets better, it is so frustrating when you just don't know what to do to help them :(

10-12 weeks. She is still alive this morning, but was laying face down and wont move. She did poop while I had her in my hand, so at least I know things are moving inside. I think there may be other things at play here. She is one that has always been less active than the rest. Is there anything linked to too much in-breeding(not adding new blood every few years)? If she doesn't make it(I will be shocked if she is alive when I get up this afternoon) then I will perform a necropsy to see her insides to determine if this was truly out of my control. At least with Teriyaki, I knew it was my fault with the meat piece too big, but Parmesano has me flubbered.
Im sorry she is doing so poorly :( I have had ones that were less active than the others so I guess it depends on how quiet she was. I guess there is some possibility that she has had some issue from the beginning. I would assume that , with all inbreeding, you could bring forward some problem/ weakness in a line bred closely but seems like it would be something that showed up often in the line. Im just not sure..... I hate losing small chicks but I especially hate getting them to this age and losing them then :(

So sorry to hear your having more trouble. Olive oil is good for impacted crop you could soak a couple small chunks of bread in it.

So terribly sad.
hugs.gif
I think it is unusual to lose one at this age. Weak chicks rarely last more than a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom