Silkie thread!

Thanks ill look at Walmart in the morning, I picked up sav-a-chick packets at coastal it's Electrolyte and vitamin supplement. Will that help his toes? I'm very worried. Having a heck of a time with the splay leg thing staying on. This is stressfull.
sad.png
Only thing that will help the toes it to splint them.

Can someone tell me when a silkie chick would start to get its topknot? I bought my silkie at my local Tractor Supply before Easter and s/he still does not have one. Could anyone help me out? I can post pictures if needed.
I would love to see pictures of your baby. In my experience the chicks are hatched with the dome skull that give them the topknot look. Just like the beards You need to know what to look for when picking out your chicks. I'm sure some of the experts can tell you more in a kind manner. Welcome to BYC. Not everyone here is a jerk.

Sorry but it's not going to get one. Hatchery birds don't look much like the breeds they are supposed to be. Some hatchery silkies have no foot feathers too. Hatchery birds are basically cheap crap. If you want a decent bird, buy from a reputable breeder.

Do you feel better now.... Seriously I don't think she ask to be fussed at. I have some very nice birds that I bought at my locally owned feed store who I know gets them from Idea Poultry in Texas.

Ok here's what we did.

Here you can see how bad it looks

Does this look good should we do the other foot two? Will it hurt to wait till tomorrow to do the other foot if needed?

Thanks ill look at Walmart in the morning, I picked up sav-a-chick packets at coastal it's Electrolyte and vitamin supplement. Will that help his toes? I'm very worried. Having a heck of a time with the splay leg thing staying on. This is stressfull.
sad.png

I have a friend who has fixed toes by putting a small piece of duck tape on the bottom of her newly hatched chicks feet holding the toes strait. When the tape falls off the toes stay strait. I don't know how that would work for the splay leg treatment.

These are my four wee Silkie chickens, I've had Sootie (the gorgeous wee black Silkie) for a couple of months now. She came in an already mixed flock with six others, but was by no means the bottom of the pecking order. Sootie does as she wants, and is a good wee layer of large white eggs! Just had three in a row! The other three are a new addition to my flock, totaling it up to twenty now. Snowie (the white Silkie) is the boss, with the other two (Cindie, the splash and Smokie the blue) being more timid. None of my Silkies are bearded, as is the norm down here in New Zealand, and seeing as my girls all free range, it makes it easier for them to spot out the nasty hawks! I only have one girl that is both bearded and has a large crest, Houdini the Houdan, and she is far too easy to sneak up on! Here are the four Silkie girls!

A close up on Sootie, she's quite happy just to sit in my lap once I've caught her.

Sootie in one of the nesting boxes, she doesn't like this one, and promptly got out and into her favourite box.

The three new Silkies on their first day here, in order, Snowie, Cindie, and Smokie.

Another of the new girls :)

Snowie deciding that she does not like a banana treat. Sootie is in the background, where as Cindie and Smokie are hiding under the trees

Snowie asking me why I'm sneaking up on her, while Smokie and Cindie waddle off in the background. I just love the Silkie waddle! So cute!
D.gif

Smokie deciding to brave the world this morning! You can see Wanda the silver laced Wyandotte in the background.

Four shades of grey
yippiechickie.gif
You can hardly see Sootie in the dark of their coop! The girls are all cuddled up for sleeping!

Before I got the new Silkies, often Sootie would seem happy to curl up on the ground all by herself for sleep some nights, then other nights she'd manage to get up and perch. Ever since I got the new three, Snowie has managed to get up herself every night (the perch is about three feet high, with various ways of getting up). I just recently added and then took out a new lower perch. The other two new Silkies would get up and perch there, but look to jump up on the top perch, which caused more hassle than it was worth. I don't want to leave Snowie all alone on the perch with the big girls, so I pop the other two up beside her, more often than not in this order, I think I'm hilarious
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
looks good, I would definitely do it for the other one too

Will tomorrow be to late to fix it? I don't have any help till tomorrow and I'm exhausted. I hate to do it she is already tripping all over the place and shaking the foot trying to get it off, poor baby.
I hope it can still walk with two on.

My daughter hatched out a chick that has a bit of splay leg and funny toes that go in a little. We are trying to get the splay leg together with a pony tail thing and tape. Will poly vi sol help with the toes? ( with out iron) thanks for any help.

Can't find the poly vi sol anywhere and Bi-mart told me I need a prescription for it?

I used Pedialite, basically same as Poly. Worked fine for me, and you can get Pedialite at grocery stores. And I would for sure do the other foot.

I used Pedialite, basically same as Poly. Worked fine for me, and you can get Pedialite at grocery stores. And I would for sure do the other foot.

Ok any certain kind? I will check walmart should find at least one. I see Dawg recommends avian super pack for foot problems, what is best? Are they all pretty much the same? I hope that toe will still set tomorrow, it was hatched yesterday morning.

I really wanted to give these guys to Sassy my broody hen that has one chick that's about four days old. I guess I can't now. Should I separate the limply one? They do peak it hard sometimes. It's in with two others that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom