Silkie thread!

Ok I have a couple questions..first is, what is everyone's opinion on trimming feathers around the eyes? Some of my bearded silkies run into things and can't see their food to eat very well. I think its adorable, lol but I don't want them to be helpless. Haha. And my other question is that I found a naked neck silkie mix that I thought might be nice to breed with one of my hens, but he has more FEATHERS than fluff. What are the chances I will get a nice silkie from him or should I wait to find a true silkie like that? I don't show my chickens, its just what I love to do, but I'm not sure if I should just rehome this boy or try it? Here's his pic. He has a lot of red on his face and neck too. Thank u guys!!!!!

If you've been offered Incubator space, put several of the oldest eggs in the 'bator. Leave the hen some eggs to keep her laying. If she does go broody, then give her the incubator eggs as well. OR you could keep the eggs in the 'bator until they hatch. Then slip the chicks under Momma at night. Keep an eye on her to make sure she accepts the babies. I've done this several times & so far it's worked for me.

Well the incubator is about an hour away and they are going to hatch them for me if I choose to do that. So it would make it difficult to switch them around like that. There are 5 eggs in there now, so I will wait it out for the week and see what happens.

Ok I have a couple questions..first is, what is everyone's opinion on trimming feathers around the eyes? Some of my bearded silkies run into things and can't see their food to eat very well. I think its adorable, lol but I don't want them to be helpless. Haha. And my other question is that I found a naked neck silkie mix that I thought might be nice to breed with one of my hens, but he has more FEATHERS than fluff. What are the chances I will get a nice silkie from him or should I wait to find a true silkie like that? I don't show my chickens, its just what I love to do, but I'm not sure if I should just rehome this boy or try it? Here's his pic. He has a lot of red on his face and neck too. Thank u guys!!!!!

I'd pass on him.

Oooh! I have 3 eggs growing now. All in various stages of life :) yeah!

Is it goign to be a problem for the first one that it won't havea friend for a few days??

Looks a lot like my roo just turned 7 months I say roo roo lol mine has green on its wings and tail too he just started to crow!

What does green tint to the tips of wings and tail feathers mean? I have 3 partridge silkies that in the sun have this green tint and I wondered if it means they aren't pure bred or if it is a sex related trait. Just curious.

If you aren't going to show, trim the feathers around their heads so they can see. The MUCH prefer it! I trimmed one of my new boys and he has learned how to self-trim his feathers by his eyes now - won't be good to show him because he rubs them off on something. But he is much happier.

The NN cross boy won't give you silkied chicks. You have to have two silkied parents to get silkied chicks.

Oooh! I have 3 eggs growing now. All in various stages of life :) yeah!

Is it goign to be a problem for the first one that it won't havea friend for a few days??
Are the eggs under a hen or in the incubator? If incubated just leave it in for the three days - they can survive that long on the yolk alone.

If under a hen then she will only set until the first born starts going off and getting into trouble. Then she will get off the eggs and you will loose the rest. Either that or she will sit on the nest and the wanderer may be killed. In both cases it would be best to put something in place that won't allow the oldest ones to get in trouble with other birds or predators.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom