Silkie thread!

Oh my gosh, I screwed up :(
I just went to candle them for last time before locked down and cracked one on accident. The membrane did not rupture as far as I can tell.
Should I just leave it cracked side up? Anything else I should do? Wrap in damp paper towel?

Jut put some nail polish or tape over it and put it back the way it was Don't move the position. Elmers glue works too, you can paint it over the crack.

Last edited:
I was keeping the humidity at 55% during the first 18 days and was planning on raising it now for lock down.
I always wondered why exactly we are supposed to keep it humid when a mother hen doesn't have water bowls set up everywhere.
Should I increase humidity now or leave it around 55%? Some of the air cells look about right...some look very small for day 18.

I was keeping the humidity at 55% during the first 18 days and was planning on raising it now for lock down.
I always wondered why exactly we are supposed to keep it humid when a mother hen doesn't have water bowls set up everywhere.
Should I increase humidity now or leave it around 55%? Some of the air cells look about right...some look very small for day 18.

the mothers body emits humidity.

Oh my gosh, I screwed up :(
I just went to candle them for last time before locked down and cracked one on accident. The membrane did not rupture as far as I can tell.
Should I just leave it cracked side up? Anything else I should do? Wrap in damp paper towel?

Some people have had luck putting candle wax when they crack the egg. Hopefully you didn't break the membrane. Light a candle and drip the hot wax over the cracked area - it will prevent the chick from breaking out too soon. Someone else used duct tape but they had to remove it because the chick couldn't break out...

Good luck with the hatch!
fl.gif

Ok..I used a little clear "hard as nails" polish and then where the "indent" is, I put a teeny piece of tape...Chick is moving a little and veining looks intact....Now the hard part...waiting and keeping the bator closed.

Well the two peeps are eight weeks old now, I would really like to leave them outside at night. I have been bringing them in at night. It's going to drop mid forties for about a week then into the thirties at night. They have a little dog house that I drilled some small round holes in the upper sides for venalation.(about quarter size holes) I have sand on the bottom and stuck some hay inside for them. Do you think they will be ok? They have about a week to adjust from forty to thirties. If not any ideas on what I can put in the dog house to keep them warm enough other then a light. A light would make it to warm, its a small area and I want them to adjust to the cold. Plus I would have to run a long extension cord and I worry about fire. Seems like their getting big enough now. Any thoughts?

So long as they are feathered in and have each other to snuggle up to they should be fine.

Hey guys, my silkie roo broke the tip of his beak off today on the hardware cloth on his run. It lt isn't broken off a lot, but it did bleed a little. Very little. He seemed like it hurt. Should I do anything or will it heal itself?

Back
Top Bottom