Silkie thread!

What do you guys think of this girl so far? She's 5.5 weeks old. I was hoping to show her, but I don't know if I can with her color the way she is? She's from a porcelain pen. With flash: Without Flash: Her hatch mates are looking better than she, but sadly they are boys and I wont be able to keep them when they get bigger. :(
I would give it more time some of the boys might end up being girls, hard to tell at that age. Very cute!

Such Cute little popcorns, and I would guess from your genetics that not-white is Splash. You will know when it gets older.
Really? She sure isn't very "splashy" lol. She is really cute though. I noticed my blues are getting some reddish or gold leakage around their hackle area. Is that something that will molt out as they get older? The partridge has a lot of blue in it too. Is there a way based on color, to sex a partridge earlier than the others?

LOL
I didn't even notice I wrote waddles instead of wattles!!!

I too thought it looks like a Japanese bantam tail on my little one

there are 3, one including my little roo roo, that look like normal silkies and a 4th that is a frizzle silkie
2 blacks, roo roo is a lavender and a grey

they are all only intended as pets....but I sure do love them

this is the oldest of the silkies I have...Calico...she's about 4 and a half months the others are maybe 2 and a half

Yes, so you do have bearded - and the boys and girls "should" both have no wattles. Your Calico is cute! If you are getting wattles on one with a beard - then that one is a boy...

Where did you get your Little one? That tail says a long tail got in the breeding pen to me too.... I have a Silky cross that I suspect is Sumatra x Silkie - she is very cute - with a LONG tail! My cross is a Blue (which I think yours is too) - which looks gray in person but with darker lacing.

Gray is a color/pattern in Silkies - and it is not just a gray color. Calico is not Gray - but I don't know exactly what color she is... She might be called Light Blue?

I don't know the genetics of it, but I know porcelain is also called "self blue cream", so there's blue in there somewhere!
Actually, there isn't; self-blue is lavender, not blue. The agreed upon name is blue cream as self-blue cream was deemed too long, and the APA and ABA are not fond of the term lavender. As a reality many blue creams DO display blue, but they should not. The way to tell is whether the buff colouring is equally diluted. If there is any vibrant colouring, it isn't correct.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom