Silkie thread!

Hi everyone. I ordered 4 St Run silkies from Meyer Hatchery and I'm set to get them June 9th. I will be keeping two and my friend will be keeping two. I plan on making a coop like this one.
[/IMG]
would this be good for two silkies? these are the dimensions.

I will be making an attached hardware cloth run for extra protection unlike the coop picture I attached. I'm making the coop from plywood and attaching roofing shingles on the top to make it weather proof. I love in Ohio so I think they will be okay. the coop will be about 4ft in height. does anyone have any suggestions for ventilation? I feel like that will be the biggest issue will the coop. the nest boxes and the roof are both hinged.

Last edited:
My two sweet Silkies are 5 weeks old and I do not really see a crest on either one. The feet are covered in feathers and so cute. One black and one white.
I have no idea if they are hens or not. HOPING so!

My 2 5wks old look so different from size, comb, foot feathers, and heads (sorry don't know the correct terminology for head feathers) one is spiked and other a fuller Mohawk

I found this info back in 2011 off the internet! For those that haven't seen it? I'm sharing it with y'all!

The Silkie has a very long history. They where first seen in China by Marco Polo on his expeditions there. The Chinese used them to hatch pheasant eggs and to raise chicks of other types of poultry. Silkies are one of the oldest breeds known; even though they are very different from the ones Marco Polo saw in China.
Every time Marco Polo and Silkies are mentioned I remember the documentary I saw regarding the myths about the Marco Polo adventures. An Italian writer - equivalent to fictional novelists today - embellished a lot of the supposed adventures of Marco Polo, sort of an Indiana Jones hero, to sell his manuscripts.

Example: The Chinese were very meticulous about their record-keeping regarding government. There was a group of Marco Polo adventure stories that said Marco Polo was a governor of a Chinese province for 3 years yet the meticulous royal Chinese records that listed every province and government head of the time never mention Marco Polo or any Caucasian. The route mapped out in the novels was not feasible for the Marco Polo era. Makes you wonder that so much credit is given to one man for introducing Chinese noodles, silk, and fluffy chickens. But the myths persist and far outweigh the actual records kept of the era.

The documentary said there were definitely Chinese Silkie birds but they like silk fabric, noodles, and fireworks could've been stories or products distributed by any traders or sailors of the era and certainly doubtful about Marco Polo being factually credited for all of it.

Every time Marco Polo and Silkies are mentioned I remember the documentary I saw regarding the myths about the Marco Polo adventures. An Italian writer - equivalent to fictional novelists today - embellished a lot of the supposed adventures of Marco Polo, sort of an Indiana Jones hero, to sell his manuscripts.

Example: The Chinese were very meticulous about their record-keeping regarding government. There was a group of Marco Polo adventure stories that said Marco Polo was a governor of a Chinese province for 3 years yet the meticulous royal Chinese records that listed every province and government head of the time never mention Marco Polo or any Caucasian. The route mapped out in the novels was not feasible for the Marco Polo era. Makes you wonder that so much credit is given to one man for introducing Chinese noodles, silk, and fluffy chickens. But the myths persist and far outweigh the actual records kept of the era.

The documentary said there were definitely Chinese Silkie birds but they like silk fabric, noodles, and fireworks could've been stories or products distributed by any traders or sailors of the era and certainly doubtful about Marco Polo being factually credited for all of it.
I wasn't really paying much attention to the "WHO" in the article! I was more interested in the rest of the article. I don't care who found them or how they got to be in my home now. I love them and that's all that matters to me! I don't get hung up on who wants to be famous for something. I just enjoy the day and my "kids" I have now.

This is my little runt named Smidge, he is 3 wks old already, can any of you guess what color he may end up?? His dad is a Porcelain Silkie and his mom is a pure black Silkie. He's a creamier color than my grey/black chicks that I have(they will be Blue/grey as adults...

And this is a pic of my 3wk old Silkie Naked Neck just for funsies:}

I wasn't really paying much attention to the "WHO" in the article! I was more interested in the rest of the article. I don't care who found them or how they got to be in my home now. I love them and that's all that matters to me! I don't get hung up on who wants to be famous for something. I just enjoy the day and my "kids" I have now.

I know what you mean. I wasn't criticizing your shared article but was just sharing what I thought was a likewise interesting documentary.

I don't care where my Silkies come from either because I don't think there are really any accurate histories about any breeds prior to the 1800s until poultry organizations were established to keep records. Many chicken breeds today are barely recognizable from their original histories anyway. Bredas were supposedly common in Colonial America but never got recorded in the APA and faded from history. The few Breda that remained in Europe were crossbred and reintroduced back to the USA and likely far from the original Bredas. I think the fowl we have today are so much better because of the concentrated efforts of dedicated breeders who take interest in a particular breed to make it prettier, hardier, more prolific, larger, smaller, fluffier, sleeker, etc. And Show Girls - whoever would've thought to create such an unusual chicken less than 100 years ago?

This is my little runt named Smidge, he is 3 wks old already, can any of you guess what color he may end up?? His dad is a Porcelain Silkie and his mom is a pure black Silkie. He's a creamier color than my grey/black chicks that I have(they will be Blue/grey as adults...

And this is a pic of my 3wk old Silkie Naked Neck just for funsies:}
Why do some Silkies have naked necks?

Back
Top Bottom