Silkie thread!

is this a rooster or hen

Judy it could be a show of dominance or being one of the lucky ones you have a extra hen.

The chicken in the picture you posted isn't a Silkie. It looks like it might be a OEGB or maybe a Japanese.

I feed mine Game Bird Starter Grower. Its 24%. I keep them on it and mix in a little scratch when they are older.

Thank you. I have heard of this, but haven't found it in my local stores yet. How long do you keep them on the game bird starter?

I feed a game bird finisher micro-pellet 22% mixed 50/50 with a mixed grain. Once the birds grow out to 24 weeks they should only be getting 16% protein.
Remember that game bird products are designed to grow the birds out fast for the table, without much thought as to what effect it might be having on their internal organs. If you feed a high protein diet over an extended period of time you are bound to run in to trouble further down the track. Visceral gout and pulpy kidney , to name a few.
It's quite common for people to feed a ' feather conditioner ' when their birds are molting, but usually only for a short period of time and then switch back to their regular feed.

I feel like my silkies are too skinny. Under all that gorgeous fluff I can feel Brest bones on a few. (Not all of them) They are always stuffing their face so I know their eating, just not sure the typical chick starter is working for all of them. I am so in love with these babies that I want them to be as healthy and happy as I can.

Here is the newest Roo in my teenage silkie flock from Bobbi P. Meet Pickles my porcelain sweetheart. Born May 18,2014. At 3 1/2 months old he's turning out pretty nice!

Back
Top Bottom