Silkie thread!

Here are my babies

8cc is not a lot. Btw..

If your afraid to use it on a preventive bases then perhaps your best bet is to just use the 16cc when there is an out break.

I'm sure with the many outbreaks you have already had is causing a lot of stress on your Silkie, using the preventive solution would reduce that but you would need to make that determination.

Also it's not the amount thats your flock that should determine if you should use the preventive treatment or not...it's the fact that your having an issue.. You could have just one chicken in your flock but if it's got CRD then there's a problem that should be or needs some treatment.

This is a disease that isn't going away obviously with all the outbreaks that you have had,. I can't see letting your chicken continue to stress out while you wait for it to have an out break... Why not jump on it while you can and get it under control.

But again it's something you'll have to decide. Your there we are not...

Heck as far as we know the denagard may not be your solution.

Yes, obviously CRD doesn't go away - just flares up during stress. I was thinking rather than using the Denagard during healthy times to maybe only use it during the stress months when a potential flare up can happen. It seems to only show up in the Fall/Winter. Even during our heatwave there were no problems. But if you are comfortable with the Denagard I will use it as a preventative. Who knows - maybe a continuous preventative will increase egg production. My other Silkie has dropped egg production this past year and maybe we can blame it on latent CRD even though she's never showed symptoms. Right now the vet recommended a week of Tylan in the non-symptom hens' water while our sick Silkie is recuperating in the house with Tylan followup. Raising a first flock is like raising a firstborn child - you seem to learn as you go in spite of all the preparation, research, and reading you do beforehand!!! In our family we laugh that a first child is always the experiment for raising the following kids.

I love it, it looks just has if she's having a fun time and skipping around the yard. LOL, 

Your Silkies are lovely! I have three, 7-week old non-bearded buffs (2 cockerels and 1 pullet) who have all suddenly decided that they're affectionate and just can't stand to not be in my lap. Up until recently they'd been fairly antisocial with me and I thought I may have made a mistake acquiring this breed, but now....I'm totally hooked on them, and thanks in part to your photos I'm thinking I need to have white ones. They look like walking cotton balls! LOL! 

Thanks. Mine were starting to get used to me petting them but I had to be away for a week during Thanksgiving and am having to start over. They are not so white immediately after dust bathing but I am surprised at how quickly they are white again afterwards.

Wanted to share this video of my day 12 silkie cross eggs for my christmas hatch! 75% silkie 25% japanese bantam
Wanted to share this video of my day 12 silkie cross eggs for my christmas hatch! 75% silkie 25% japanese bantam

Link worked fine for me, what are you using for candling if you don't mind me asking? It does a nice job!

Back
Top Bottom