Silkie thread!

My Silkies are still very timid. However, the one who is broody is extremely still in the nest. She doesn't even bat an eye when I approach or touch her. Only when I check under her for extra Silkie eggs does she move at all or make a sound. We haven't seen her off the nest since I put the eggs under her three days ago. I have been putting a small bit of food nearby but don't know if she is eating it or if it is being eaten by one of the others. Is this extreme obviousness usual for broody Silkies?

The only other broody we had was a hatchery New Hampshire and she was grouchy, as I had expected.

My Silkies are still very timid. However, the one who is broody is extremely still in the nest. She doesn't even bat an eye when I approach or touch her. Only when I check under her for extra Silkie eggs does she move at all or make a sound. We haven't seen her off the nest since I put the eggs under her three days ago. I have been putting a small bit of food nearby but don't know if she is eating it or if it is being eaten by one of the others. Is this extreme obviousness usual for broody Silkies?

The only other broody we had was a hatchery New Hampshire and she was grouchy, as I had expected.

One of my silkies is like yours. She would not move or make a sound when I opened the nest box, but the other one that was broody in the nest box near her would fluff up and make all kinda sounds and nip at me if I got too close. They are both sharing 6 babies now. I guess it varies from chicken to chicken
smile.png

My silkie just finished brooding and hatching out two chicks (out of 10) three days ago. She was very quiet, and did not leave the nest AT ALL. She was eating a tiny bit at first when I wasn't around, and would stick her butt out of the nest to poop. After a while, she stopped pooping, which I took to mean she wasn't eating, either (no food seemed to be missing).
So, I brought food to her, and that helped, she continued to make 1 poop a day, which was easy to smell (lol, UGH!) and scoop out right away so it didn't foul her nest. I assume it was because it was winter, she didn't want to get off her eggs at the later stages of incuabation. She reacted just like yours though. Very quiet with only a little "rawr, rawr" growl if I checked under her gently. I'm new to all this, but after the hatch, got lots of advice from some forum members. Keep us posted! Are you wanting her to hatch, or stop brooding?

Hi Silkie folks, I have a question about our new chick. Our two grey ("blue") silkies made this little peep:

What gives? I love that she is a different color from her parents, but...how did that happen? Can any silkie color randomly pop up or is this yellow/grey color a recessive color trait for a grey silkie? Or is it because they are not show silkies (got them from Southern States feed store in the spring) and might have other breeds thrown in there way back when? I'm so fascinated that we got a yellow chick!

Hi Silkie folks, I have a question about our new chick. Our two grey ("blue") silkies made this little peep:

What gives? I love that she is a different color from her parents, but...how did that happen? Can any silkie color randomly pop up or is this yellow/grey color a recessive color trait for a grey silkie? Or is it because they are not show silkies (got them from Southern States feed store in the spring) and might have other breeds thrown in there way back when? I'm so fascinated that we got a yellow chick!
Blue does not breed true. This chick is likely a splash.

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash

Also

blue x black = 50% blue, 50% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash
splash x black = 100% blue

Blue does not breed true. This chick is likely a splash.

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash

Also

blue x black = 50% blue, 50% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash
splash x black = 100% blue
Thank you, and AWESOME news!! Splash is my favorite color silkie! I'm so excited to see what she looks like later! Our blue chicks were all light grey when they were babies, now some are almost black, some are light grey. This little chick's sibling is a light grey with yellow tones also, much more yellow in her than her parents, maybe she/he will be a splash, too!

Back
Top Bottom