Silkie thread!

I dont mind small eggs and with my human flock thinning out (Children are growing and braving the world) I have 5 Children and 1 is 15 almost 16 he is my youngest and the only one left at home now.

I want cuddling! and the demand for eggs is lowering as well so I can do the friendly smaller breeds.

Yea!

I dont mind small eggs and with my human flock thinning out (Children are growing and braving the world) I have 5 Children and 1 is 15 almost 16 he is my youngest and the only one left at home now.

I want cuddling! and the demand for eggs is lowering as well so I can do the friendly smaller breeds.

Yea!

I grew up as a kid around assertive large fowl breeds like RIR, NHR, BRs, Legs, CA Greys so never knew there was any difference in temperaments or much difference in large fowl weights, so when I restarted chicken keeping after retirement I got an education the hard way with the breeds I mixed together. It was heart-breaking for me to re-home my Legs and Marans even though they went to a good home. They were terrific egg layers. Even though they weren't the most human-friendly birds they did tolerate me. But at maturity between 18 months and 2 y/o these breeds assert themselves over any flock member they can bully. My poor Silkies and Ameraucana (my avatar), went through getting their feathers plucked, combs chewed, and claw attacked so it was a no-brainer which hens we had to let go. I accept pecking order squabbles but not outright injuries!

We can only have 5 hens and no roos and currently we're down to 3 hens after re-homing the troublemakers. We have two Silkies and the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. In Spring we're adding another Blue Ameraucana and Blue Breda. Hope this group will be peaceful. The Ameraucanas are excellent layers and seldom - if ever - broody so they make up for the less eggs we'll get from the Silkies and Breda. OurFlyBabies.com wrote a nice blurb about their Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas being very nurturing and accepting of orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock without incident. I'm hoping our Blue Amer on order will be the same.

We don't subscribe to cable TV because the chickens are entertainment enough for us!

Just here to show off the new babies! We have a grey and a white momma and a buff dad. They're splits, the stripes and spots are from the two mommas. Will be interesting to see what colors they mature into.

Hi! Can you tell if these will be bearded or not? I'm just startin out with silkies. Some of the silkies in the pen had beards, but most didn't. Do U have to have bearded hen and roo to have bearded chicks? Or can a non bearded have a bearded chick? :(

I just got these 3 babies :) Im really hoping for beards! Thanks in advance! :D

Hi! Can you tell if these will be bearded or not? I'm just startin out with silkies. Some of the silkies in the pen had beards, but most didn't. Do U have to have bearded hen and roo to have bearded chicks? Or can a non bearded have a bearded chick? :(

I just got these 3 babies :) Im really hoping for beards! Thanks in advance! :D

Mine are bearded and you can already see that they have a lot more fluff under their Chins. Soooooo fluffy,anne the lighter one in your pic?

Bummer! Ya, I was thinkin maybe they should have more :( I can get a better pic of the white one today. This is actually a picture from the breeder, I'm picking them up today! I saw them yesterday and they were sooooo sweet!! If I were to breed them, could I get bearded babies? It do you have to have bearded parents? I will still get these today, but I guess I will keep searching for a bearded. These were the nicest silkies I could find anywhere sorta near me.
this is a pic of the parents. They are beautiful! But not to beards :( I am near the toledo Ohio area, if anyone knows anyone within a reasonable distance from me let me know! There was a lady in waseon that I chatted with a couple years ago, she shows and everything, had really nice beardeds. But I can't find her info for the life of me. She's actually Bloomington silkies on here, but she hasn't been on BYC in like a year, so I doubt she will get my message :(

Back
Top Bottom