Silkie thread!

Not likely that both would have neurological issues. Upper respiratory symptoms can be very mild to quite severe and anywhere in between. Sinus issues can lead to them having cheesy plugs in their ears and they will head shake in an attempt to dislodge them. Check the nares for plugs also.

If it is a sinus issue, how do I detect it and or treat it? I checked the ears of the polish and found nothing unusual. Not sure what to do besides that. I'll check their nares.

If it is a sinus issue, how do I detect it and or treat it? I checked the ears of the polish and found nothing unusual. Not sure what to do besides that. I'll check their nares.

Even if it turns out to be CRD issues after eliminating all easier health checks it wasn't serious with our chickens. Owners seem to be unaware that about 95% of USA flocks have CRD but not all chickens display or even exhibit symptoms - yet a seemingly healthy bird can just drop over dead one day without ever showing symptoms. Inclement weather or stress brings on an occurrence with one of our Silkies and no one else in the flock comes down with symptoms. We have started to bring in our Silkies during rainy windy weather and so far no incidents this past season. However I was shipped a Breda who was violently shaking its head with no sneezing or runny nose - stress from being shipped and plopped in a new environment so I took it to the vet after a couple days violent shaking because it was getting no rest at night. The Breda was prescribed for 7-days oral Baytril treatment - and was better the 2nd day and no shaking by the 3rd day but we dutifully finished the dosages. The traveling companion was fine and exhibited no CRD symptoms. It really surprised me to read that Marek's virus is in nearly every backyard flock too except that hardier chickens or breeds don't succumb to symptoms ever. Marek's vaccination doesn't always prevent an outbreak but helps the chicken fight the symptoms. The key per vaccination information is that the chick has to be innoculated at one-day old to build up an immunity. Waiting until the chicks are 2 days old or older will not be effective - it has to be injected at one-day old asap. Chickens exposed to Marek's will never be "cured" of carrying the virus all their life but the vaccination helps minimize symptoms if they come down with it and all dependent on each individual chicken's susceptibility. To me the new strain of AI or Newcastles scares me a bit more.

Last edited:
introducing Rosie to the littler silkie chicks she's a very nice girl

Even if it turns out to be CRD issues after eliminating all easier health checks it wasn't serious with our chickens.  Owners seem to be unaware that about 95% of USA flocks have CRD but not all chickens display or even exhibit symptoms - yet a seemingly healthy bird can just drop over dead one day without ever showing symptoms.  Inclement weather or stress brings on an occurrence with one of our Silkies and no one else in the flock comes down with symptoms.  We have started to bring in our Silkies during rainy windy weather and so far no incidents this past season.  However I was shipped a Breda who was violently shaking its head with no sneezing or runny nose - stress from being shipped and plopped in a new environment so I took it to the vet after a couple days violent shaking because it was getting no rest at night.  The Breda was prescribed for 7-days oral Baytril treatment - and was better the 2nd day and no shaking by the 3rd day but we dutifully finished the dosages.  The traveling companion was fine and exhibited no CRD symptoms.  It really surprised me to read that Marek's virus is in nearly every backyard flock too except that hardier chickens or breeds don't succumb to symptoms ever.  Marek's vaccination doesn't always prevent an outbreak but helps the chicken fight the symptoms.  The key per vaccination information is that the chick has to be innoculated at one-day old to build up an immunity.  Waiting until the chicks are 2 days old or older will not be effective - it has to be injected at one-day old asap.  Chickens exposed to Marek's will never be "cured" of carrying the virus all their life but the vaccination helps minimize symptoms if they come down with it and all dependent on each individual chicken's susceptibility.  To me the new strain of AI or Newcastles scares me a bit more.

That's interesting , baytril has been banned by the FDA . It should also be pointed out that if you are going to use antibiotics that it's not recommended that you use any part of the bird for consumption . That includes eggs !
Birds that are vaccinated with mareks vaccine are less likely to suffer from the tumours in the vital organs. However they can still carry the disease in their dander and pass it on to new flock members.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart/baytril-for-birds
The use of certain antibiotics is a problem world wide and the ' powers that be ' are starting to pay attention .

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/29/tyson-chicken/

Last edited:
That's interesting , baytril has been banned by the FDA . It should also be pointed out that if you are going to use antibiotics that it's not recommended that you use any part of the bird for consumption . That includes eggs !

Because of the hullabaloo about antibiotics and hormones in USA commercial consumption meats all antibiotics are mostly banned in the poultry industries. However, for pets, my vet still prescribes it. And consumption of any eggs or meat of the treated animal should not be eaten. My flock are pets first and utility is secondary. So far only one of my Silkies is the Baytril-treated bird and she is too precious not to keep well by any means I can afford - Silkies are not utility and egg-laying is sporadic at best so losing eggs from them after their first year is not a great loss. And we don't eat our pets for meat. The Breda is a male and will not be laying eggs and has been found a forever home where he will not be eaten. Wish we could keep him since he is a fantastic temperament/breed but we aren't allowed roos. I love the temperament and outgoing curious friendliness of the lighterweight Breda and will try getting a female in future.
From research I found 3 different symptoms for Marek's - paralysis, or blindness, or internal tumors and the tumor kind is where you don't know the chicken is ill until it drops over dead without hardly any symptoms until the very end. And there is no way prior to death to identify Marek's in a carrier. It's unfortunate that only a necropsy identifies death-by-Marek's for certain. It was frustrating to read about the way Marek's travels from bird to bird because it is nearly impossible even with biosecurity to keep it from a yard. It travels as you say from the microscopic dander from the chicken's skin that floats on the loose feathers of the chickens or microscopic dander just off of human's clothing/shoes. Just the wind alone can carry this dander for miles and all the biosecurity in the world will not keep it from a yard/flock. I mean we can do our best by not visiting places that have birds or vice versa but we can only do what we can do and pray for the best. Wildlife birds are a concern - I love them but not around my yard.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart/baytril-for-birds
The use of certain antibiotics is a problem world wide and the ' powers that be ' are starting to pay attention .

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/29/tyson-chicken/

Last edited:
Hi,
Just noticed that two chicks in my flock have 6 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. They are both lavenders from good quality stock, with otherwise good features. Parents don't have 6 toes. What should I do with them and what causes this? Will it definitely by inherited?
Thanks
Emily

Hi,
Just noticed that two chicks in my flock have 6 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. They are both lavenders from good quality stock, with otherwise good features.  Parents don't have 6 toes.  What should I do with them and what causes this?  Will it definitely by inherited?
Thanks
Emily

:welcome
It's just one of those genetic hiccups that happen from time to time. It's unusual to have 2 siblings though. Some say it may be a result of inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom